Independent Feature Analysis for Image Retrieval
Content-based image retrieval methods based on the Euclidean metric expect the feature space to be isotropic. They suffer from unequal differential relevance of features in computing the similarity between images in the input feature space. We propose a learning method that attempts to overcome this limitation by capturing local differential relevance of features based on user feedback. This feedback, in the form of accept or reject examples generated in response to a query image, is used to locally estimate the strength of features along each dimension while taking into consideration the correlation between features. This results in local neighborhoods that are constricted along feature dimensions that are most relevant, while enlongated along less relevant ones. In addition to exploring and exploiting local principal information, the system seeks a global space for efficient independent feature analysis by combining such local information. We provide experimental results that demonstrate the efficacy of our technique using real-world data.
KeywordsFeature Relevance Image Retrieval Image Database Query Image Relevance Feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.H. Creecy, B.M. Masand, S.J. Smith, and D.L. Waltz, “Trading Mips and Memory for Knowledge Engineering”, CACM, 35:48–64, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Flickner et al.,“Query by Image and Video Content: The QBIC system” IEEE Computer, pp.23–31, September 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.J.H. Friedman “Flexible Metric Nearest Neighbor Classication”, Tech. Report, Dept. of Statistics, Stanford University, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.W.Y. Ma and B.S. Manjunath, “Texture features and learning similarity”, Proceedings of IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Francisco, pp. 425–430, June, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.P.M. Murphy and D.W. Aha, UCI repository of machine learning databases. 1995. http://www.cs.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html.
- 8.J. Peng, B. Bhanu and S. Qing, “Probabilistic Feature Relevance Learning for Content-Based Image Retrieval”, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Rui, T.S. Huang and S. Mehrotra, “Content-based image retrieval with relevance feedback in MARS” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 815–818, Santa Barbara, California, October, 1997.Google Scholar