A Data Mining Application for Monitoring Environmental Risks
We describe the guidelines of a system for monitoring environmental risk situations. The system is based on data mining techniques and in particular classification trees working on the data base collected by the Italian National Hydrogeological Net. The goal of our application is to achieve a better discrimination among cases then that obtained by the system which is presently in use. The decision trees are evaluated and selected via a metric that takes a weighted account of the errors of different kinds.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Breiman, L., Friedman, J., Olshen, R., Stone, A.:Classification and Regression Trees. Wadsworth (1994).Google Scholar
- 2.Masters, M., Chang, C.-C.K., Gravano, L., Paepcke, A.:Neural, Novel and Hybrid Algorithms for Time-Series Prediction. Wiley, New York (1995).Google Scholar
- 3.Miller, G., Todd, G., Hedge, S.: Designing neural networks using genetic algorithms. In Proceedings of the third Int’l Conference on Genetic Algorithms. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.Perner, P.:Decision Master. http://www.ibai-solutions.de/
- 5.Ripley, B.: Neural networks and related methods for classification. Journal of The Royal Statistical Society, Series B, (1994).Google Scholar