Optimal Task Scheduling of a Complete K-Ary Tree with Communication Delays
It is known that task scheduling problem of a complete k-ary intree with unit time tasks and general communication delays onto an unlimited number of processors is NP-complete. In this paper, we show that such a problem can be solved in linear time if we restrict communication delays within the range from (k − 1) to k unit times. We also show that naive scheduling is optimal if communication delays are constant and at most (k − 1) unit times.
KeywordsCompletion Time Optimal Schedule Task Schedule Task Graph Communication Delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chrétienne, P. and Picouleau, C.: Scheduling with Communication Delays: A Survey, Scheduling Theory and Its Applications, Wiley (1995) 65–90Google Scholar
- 7.El-Rewini, H., Lewis, T.G., and Ali, H.H.: TASK SCHEDULING in PARALLEL and DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS, PTR Prentice Hall (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Jakoby, A. and Reischuk, R.: The Complexity of Scheduling Problems with Communication Delays for Trees, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 621. Springer-Verlag (1992) 165–177Google Scholar
- 13.Lawler, E. L.: Scheduling Trees on Multiprocessors with Unit Communication Delays, Presented at the First Workshop on Models and Algorithms for Planning and Scheduling Problems, Villa Vigoni, Lake Como, Italy, unpublished manuscript, June (1993)Google Scholar
- 15.Picouleau, C.: Etude de Problèmes les Systèmes Distribués, Ph.D. thesis, Univ. Piere et Marie Curie, Paris, France (1992)Google Scholar
- 16.Thurimella, R. and Yesha, Y.: A scheduling principle for precedence graphs with communication delay, International Conference on Parallel Processing, 3 (1992) 229–236Google Scholar