Towards a Monitoring Interface Specification for Distributed Java Applications
In this paper we discuss a general-purpose, portable, and extensible approach to handle comprehensive monitoring information from a Java run-time environment, based on an extension to the On-line Monitoring Interface Specification (OMIS). The main goal of the Java extension to OMIS is to create an interface that will be used to build an OMIS compliant monitoring system as well as to adapt existing tools and to build new ones for monitoring distributed Java applications. The issues covered include enhancements at the specification level. Tools based on this framework are intended to generate problem-oriented requests and handle response information in a uniform way independent of the tools’ specifics and the monitoring system’s implementation.
KeywordsJava monitoring system monitoring interface distributed object system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Ludwig, R. Wismüller, V. Sunderam, and A. Bode: OMIS-On-line Monitoring Interface Specification (Version 2.0). Shaker Verlag, Aachen, vol. 9, LRR-TUM Research Report Series, (1997) http://wwwbode.in.tum.de/~omis/OMIS/Version-2.0/version-2.0.ps.gz Google Scholar
- 2.Sun Microsystems: Remote Method Invocation Specification http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/rmi/spec/rmiTOC.doc.html
- 3.Sun Microsystems: Java Virtual Machine Profiler Interface (JVMPI) http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jvmpi/jvmpi.html
- 4.I.H. Kazi, D.P. Jose, B. Ben-Hamida, C.J. Hescott, C. Kwok, J. Konstan, D.J. Lilja, and P.-C. Yew: JaViz: A Client/Server Java Profiling Tool, IBM Systems Journal, 39(1), (2000) 96–117. http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/391/kazi.html CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Sun Microsystems: JavaBased Distributed Computing: RMI and IIOP in Java http://java.sun.com/pr/1997/june/statement970626-01.html
- 6.Sun Microsystems: The Java Native Interface Specification http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/guide/jni/spec/jniTOC.doc.html
- 7.Sun Microsystems: Java Virtual Machine Debug Interface (JVMDI) http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jvmdi/jvmdi.html
- 8.T. Lindholm and F. Yellin, The Java Virtual Machine Specification, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading,MA (1996).Google Scholar
- 10.P. Mętel and R. OrJlowski: A Java-oriented extension to On-line Monitoring Inter-face Specification. Master Thesis. Institute of Computer Science, Stanislaw Staszic University of Mining and Metallurgy, Kraków, 2001.Google Scholar