Task Scheduling for Dynamically Configurable Multiple SMP Clusters Based on Extended DSC Approach
The paper presents a proposal of task scheduling algorithm for a multi-processor system based on dynamically organised shared memory processor clusters. A cluster contains processors with data caches connected to a data memory module by an internal cluster bus. Each data memory module is also accessible for a global inter-cluster bus that is available for all processors. Execution of tasks in a processor is done according to a specific macro dataflow model. It allows task execution only if all the required data have been loaded into processor data cache. The task scheduling algorithm defines mapping of program tasks into dynamic processor clusters on the basis of a program graph analysis. A program is represented by a macro dataflow graph extended by representation of actions of bus arbiters, data caches and memory modules. The resulting dynamic structuring of processor clusters minimizes the parallel program execution time. The algorithm is based on a modified Dominant Sequence Clustering approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Protic, M. Tomasevic, V. Milutinovic: A Survey of Shared Memory Systems, Proc of the 28th Annual Hawaii International Conference of System Sciences, Maui, Hawai, Jan. 1995, pp. 74–84.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Sima, T. Fountain, P. Kacsuk: Advanced Computer Architectures; A Design Space Approach, Addison-Wesley, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Kanaka, M. Matsuda, M. Ando, K. Kazuto, M. Sato: ”COMPaS”: A Pentium Pro PC—based SMP Cluster and its Experience, IPPS Workshop on Personal Computer Based Networks of Workstations, LNCS 1388, pp. 486–497. 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Scalable Clusters of Commodity Computers, http://www.csag.cs.uiuc.edu/projects/clusters.html
- 5.Multimax Technical Summary, Encore Computer Corporation, March 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.Convex Exemplar Architecture, Convex Press, 1994, p. 239.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Yang, A. Gerasoulis: PYRROS: Static Task Scheduling and Code Generation for Message Passing Multiprocessors, Proc. of 6th ACM Int’l Conf. on Supercomputing (ICS92), 1992, pp. 428–437.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Tudruj, L. Masko: A Parallel System Architecture Based on Dynamically Configurable Shared Memory Clusters, Proceedings of the PPAM 2001 Conference, Naleczów, Poland, 4–6 Sept. 2001, LNCS, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar