Reengineering of Database Applications to EJB Based Architecture
The advent and widespread use of Enterprise JavaBean (EJB) technology not only demands more reengineering support for legacy database applications, but also changes the reengineering practice. Initiated from our experience of reengineering database applications to EJB based architecture, this paper addresses two challenges in the mapping between database queries and EJBs. The first is to map a SQL to the equivalent EJB client code when the enterprise beans exist. The second is to generate enterprise beans from the set of legacy SQL expressions when the EJB architecture does not exist in the first place. We propose the EJB-SQL mediator to solve the first problem, and a view selection algorithm to solve the second one.
KeywordsConjunctive Query Database Application View Selection View Definition Base Predicate
- Sanjay Agrawal, Surajit Chaudhuri, and Vivek Narasayya. Automated selection of materialized views and indexes in Microsoft SQL Server. VLDB 2000.Google Scholar
- R.S. Arnold, editor. Software Reengineering, Los Alamitos, CA, 1993. IEEE Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- Andreas Behm and Andreas Geppert and Klaus R. Dittrich, On the Migration of Relational Schemas and Data to Object-Oriented Database Systems, in Proc. 5th International Conference on Re-Technologies for Information Systems, 13–33, 1997.Google Scholar
- S. Bergamaschi and A. Garuti and C. Sartori and A. Venuta, The object wrapper: an object oriented interface for relational databases, In Euromicro 1997.Google Scholar
- Kyle Brown, Handling N-ary relationships in VisualAge for Java, http://www.ibm.com/vadd, August 2000.
- Elliot Chikofsky and James Cross. Reverse Engineering and Design Recovery: A Taxonomy. IEEE Software, 7(1): 13–17, January 1990.Google Scholar
- Rada Chirkova, Alon Y. Halevy, Dan Suciu, A Formal Perspective on the View Selection Problem, VLDB 2001.Google Scholar
- A.K. Chandra, P.M. Merlin, Optimal implementation of conjunctive queries in relational databases, in Proceedings of the 9th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 77–90, 1977.Google Scholar
- Chang, Y., Raschid, L. and Dorr, B., Transforming queries from a relational schema to an equivalent object schema: a prototype based on F-logic, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, 1994.Google Scholar
- Surajit Chaudhuri, Ravi Krishnamurthy, Spyros Pptamianos, Kyuseok Shim, Optimizing Queries with materialized views, ICDE 1995.Google Scholar
- Cohen, Y.; Feldman, Y.A., Automatic high-quality reengineering of database programs by temporal abstraction, Proceedings of the 1997 International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE’ 97) (formerly: KBSE)Google Scholar
- Fong, J., Converting Relational to Object-Oriented Databases. SIGMOD Record, Vol. 26, No. 1, March 1997.Google Scholar
- H. Gupta, I. S. Mumick, Selection of views to materialize under a maintenance cost constraint, in Proceedings of ICDT, pages 453–470, 1999.Google Scholar
- H. Gupta, Selection of views to materialize in a data warehouse, in Proceedings of ICDT, pages 98–112, 1997.Google Scholar
- IBM, IBMNetData Reference, Version 7, http://www4.ibm.com/software/data/net.data/, June 2001 Edition.
- IBM, Websphere Commerce Suite Version 5.1: An introduction to the programming model, IBM white paper, Feb 2001.Google Scholar
- IBM, VisualAge for Java 3.5, IBM, 2001.Google Scholar
- In2j, Automated tool for migrating Oracle PL/SQL into Java, http://www.in2j.com, April, 2001.
- Ivar Jacobson, Fredrik Lindström, Reengineering of old systems to an object-oriented architecture, OOPSLA 1991, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 26 Issue 11.Google Scholar
- IPlanet, Migration Guide, iPlanet Application Server, Version 6.0, http://www.iplanet.com, May 2000.
- J. Jahnke and W. Schafer and A. Zundorf, A Design Environment for Migrating Relational to Object Oriented Database Systems, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Maintenance, IEEE Computer Society Press, 163–170, 1996.Google Scholar
- Yannis Kotidis, Nick Roussopoulos, DynaMat: A Dynamic View Management System for Data Warehouses, SIGMOD 99, June.Google Scholar
- Terry Lau, Jianguo Lu, Erik Hedges, Emily Xing, Migrating E-commerce Database Applications to an Enterprise Java Environment, CASCON’01.Google Scholar
- Terry Lau, Jianguo Lu, John Mylopoulos, Erik Hedges, Kostas Kontogiannis, Emily Xing, and Mark Crowley, Net.Data to JSP Helper, IBM alphaWorks, http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/netdatatojsp, 2001.
- Alon Levy, Anand Rajaraman, Joann J. Ordille, Querying heterogeneous information sources using source descriptions. In proceedings of the international conference on Very Large Data Bases, Bombay, India, 1996.Google Scholar
- Alon Levy, Answering queries using views: a survey, VLDB Journal 2001.Google Scholar
- Chen Li, Mayank Bawa, Jeffrey D. Ullman, Minimizing view sets without losing query-answering power, ICDT’01.Google Scholar
- R. J. Miller, L. M. Haas and M. Hernández. Schema Mapping as Query Discovery. VLDB 2000.Google Scholar
- Wie Ming Lim and John Harrison, An Integrated Database Reengineering Architecture-A Generic Approach, Proceedings of the 1996 Australian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC’ 96).Google Scholar
- Rachel Pottinger, Alon Y. Levy, A Scalable Algorithm for Answering Queries Using Views, VLDB 2000.Google Scholar
- William J. Premerlani, Michael R. Blaha, An approach for reverse engineering of relational databases, CACM, 1994 Vol 37(5).Google Scholar
- Chandrashekar Ramanathan, Providing Object-Oriented Access To Existing Relational Databases, PhD dissertation, Mississippi State University, 1997.  Sun, Enterprise JavaBeans 2.0 Specification, http://www.java.sun.com,2001.
- Tech Metrix, Moving from IBM Websphere 3 to BEA WebLogic Server 5.1, White Paper, TechMetrix Research, September 2000.Google Scholar
- Jeffrey D. Ullman, Principles of Database and Knowledge-base Systems, Volumes I,II, Computer Science Press, Rockville MD, 1989.Google Scholar