Time Reversal Invariance in Nuclear Physics: From Neutrons to Stochastic Systems
- 433 Downloads
To test models of CP violation it is important to look for T-violating effects in as many different systems as possible. In this experimental search, nuclear tests with neutrons have played an important role. We review the basic issues underlying measurements of the neutron’s T-odd electric dipole moment, and discuss a promising new line of investigation involving transmission of polarized neutrons through spin polarized and aligned nuclear targets, particularly at epithermal neutron energies. We give a self-contained derivation of the generalization of the optical theorem to include polarization degrees of freedom, and derive the expressions required to analyze polarized neutron transmission in targets of arbitrary polarization state.
KeywordsParity Violation Spin Space Time Reversal Invariance Partial Wave Expansion Triple Correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Golub, D.J. Richardson, S.K. Lamoreaux: Ultracold Neutrons (Adam-Hilger, Bristol 1991)Google Scholar
- 2.S. Lamoreaux, I. Khriplovich: CP Violation Without Strangeness — Electric Dipole Moments of Particles, Atoms and Molecules (Springer, New York 1997)Google Scholar
- 3.N.R. Roberson, C.R. Gould, J.D. Bowman: Tests of Time Reversal Invariance in Neutron Physics (World Scientific, Singapore 1987)Google Scholar
- 4.C.R. Gould, J.D. Bowman, Yu.P. Popov: Time Reversal Invariance and Parity violation in Neutron Reactions (World Scientific, Singapore 1994)Google Scholar
- 5.see E. Henley (this book) for a detailed discussion of the time reversal and parity operatorsGoogle Scholar
- 14.C.J. Joachain: Quantum Collision Theory, 3rd Ed. (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1983)Google Scholar
- 15.D.A. Varshalovich, A.N. Moskalev, V.K. Khersonskii: Quantum Theory of Angular Momentum (World Scientific, Singapore 1988)Google Scholar
- 17.M. Simonius: ‘Polarization Nuclear Physics’. In: Lecture Notes in Physics, vol. 30 ed. by D. Fick (Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1974) p. 38Google Scholar