The Influence of the γ-Parameter on Feature Detection with Automatic Scale Selection
A method to automatically select locally appropriate scales for feature detection, proposed by Lindeberg , , involves choosing a so-called γ-parameter. The implications of the choice of γ-parameter are studied and it is demonstrated that different values of γ can lead to qualitatively different features being detected. As an example the range of γ-values is determined such that a second derivative of Gaussian filter kernel detects ridges but not edges. Some results of this relatively simple ridge detector are shown for two-dimensional images.
KeywordsScale selection ridge detection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Eberly. Ridges in Image and Data Analysis. Computational Imaging and Vision. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.T.M. Koller. From Data to Information: Segmentation, Description and Analysis of the Cerebral Vascularity. PhD thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zürich, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.T.M. Koller, G. Gerig, G. Szekely, and D. Dettwiler. Multiscale detection of curvilinear structures in 2d and 3d medical images. In Fifth International Conference on Computer Vision ICCV 95, pages 864–869, Cambridge, MA, USA, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Lindeberg. On scale selection for differential operators. In K. Heia, A. Hægdra, and B. Braathen, editors, 8th Scandinavian Conference on Image Analysis, pages 857–866, Tromsæ, Norway, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.C. Lorenz, I.-C. Carlsen, T.M. Buzug, C. Fassnacht, and J. Weese. A multiscale line filter with automatic scale selection based on the hessian matrix for medical image segmentation. In B. ter Haar Romeny, L. Florack, J. Koenderink, and M. Viergever, editors, Scale-space theory in Computer Vision, ScaleSpace’ 97, volume 1252 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Majer. A Statistical Approach to Feature Detection and Scale Selection in Images. PhD thesis, University of Göttingen, 2000.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Staal, S. Kalitzin, B. ter Haar Romeny, and M. Viergewer. Detection of critical structures in scale space. In M. Nielsen, P. Johansen, O. Olsen, and J. Weickert, editors, Scale-Space Theories in Computer Vision, 1999.Google Scholar