Modeling and Analysis of TCP Enhancement over Heterogeneous Links
In this paper we focus on one type of TCP enhancement commonly used to improve performance for connections over heterogeneous physical layer, namely, TCP connection splitting or split TCP, where the end-to-end TCP connection is split in segments so that each segment runs over a homogeneous environment and is optimized separately. This paper presents a simple model capturing some of the features of this scheme where split segments are essentially “coupled” TCP connections. We use simulation to validate our models and use our model to analyze situations where split TCP is preferred to the end-to-end scheme, and where the performance gain of splitting vanishes by investigating factors including initial window size, file size, number of on-going connections and loss.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pan, J.: Research: TCP over Something-Air Links-Wireless Links. http://www.bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/ jpan/tcpair
- 2.Bharadwaj, V.: Improving TCP Performance over High-Bandwidth Geostationary Satellite Links. Technical Report MS 99-12, Institute for Systems Research, University of Maryland, College Park (1999) http://www.isr.umd.edu/TechReports/ISR/1999/
- 4.Brown, K., Singh, S.: A Network Architecture for Mobile Computing. IEEE INFOCOM (1996) 1388–1396Google Scholar
- 5.Schiller, J.: Mobile Communications. Addison-Wesley (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Ratnam, K., Matta, I.: WTCP: An Efficient Mechanism for Improving TCP Performance Over Wireless Links. Proc. IEEE ISCC (1998) pages 74–78Google Scholar
- 7.Iftode, I., Cáceres, R.: Improving the Performance of Reliable Transport Protocol in Mobile Computing Environment. IEEE J-SAC, 13(5) (1995) 850–857Google Scholar
- 8.Vaidya, N. H., Mehta, M., Perkins, C., Montenegro, G.: Delayed Duplicated Acknowledgments: A TCP-Unware Approach to Improve Performance of TCP over Wireless. Technical Report 99-003, TAMU (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Parsa, C., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J. J.: Improving TCP Performance Over Wireless Network at The Link Layer. ACM Mobile Networks & Applications Journal (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Karir, M.: IPSEC and the Internet. Technical Report MS 99-14, Institute for Systems Research, University of Maryland, College Park (1999) http://http://www.isr.umd.edu/TechReports/ISR/1999/
- 12.Cardwell, N., Savage, S., Anderson, T.: Modeling TCP Latency. IEEE INFOCOM (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Kurose, J. F., Rose, K.: Computer Networking, A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet. Addison Wesley (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Allman, M., Paxson, V.: On Estimating End-to-end Network Path Properties. SIGCOMM (1999)Google Scholar
- 17.UCB/LBNL Network Simulator. http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/