An Adaptive Handover-Supporting Routing Method for ATM Based Mobile Networks, and Its Adaptation to IP Scenarios
In this paper we study the problem of supporting quality-of service (QoS) parameters during a handover event, from the view of the wired network. The future network concepts of the most significant telecommunication companies have three common aspects: a unified IP/ATM backbone, many different kinds of access technologies and QoS support. We propose a new handover supporting routing method, which can be applied to both ATM an IP backbone networks. This method shortens the time needed for completing the handover (or handoff) by the aspect of the wired network, making easier to support real-time sensitive multimedia traffic types. The performance of the proposed scheme is evaluated through simulations. Our simulations show that our scheme provides higher network utilization while achieving smaller handover dropping probability, and smaller signaling latency.
KeywordsVirtual Channel Traffic Class Call Setup Connection Setup Link Load
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Cox and D. Reudink, “Increasing channel occupancy in large-scale mobile radio systems: Dynamic channel reassignment,” IEEE Trans Commun., vol. COM-21, Nov 1973Google Scholar
- S. Chia, “Mixed cell architecture and handover,” in IEEEColloquium-Mobil Commun. in the year 2000, London, U.K., June 1992Google Scholar
- C. Oliveira, Jaime Bae Kim, T. Suda, “An adaptive Bandwidth reservation scheme for high-speed multimedia wireless networks”,IEEE Journal on sel. areas in comm., vol. 16, NO. 6, August 1998Google Scholar
- Anthony S. Acampora, and Mahmoud Nagshineh, “An Architecture and Methodology for Mobile-Executed Handoff in cellurar ATM Networks,” IEEE, 1994.Google Scholar
- Gopal Dommety, Malathi Veerarghavan IEEE, Mukesh Singhal “A Route Optimalization Algorithm and Its Application to Mobile Location Management in ATM Networks”, IEEE, 1998.Google Scholar
- Private Network-Network Interface Specification Version 1.0 (PNNI 1.0). The ATM forum Technical Committee (af-pnni-0055.000), 1996.Google Scholar