Study of a Unicast Query Mechanism for Dynamic Source Routing in Mobile ad Hoc Networks
This paper describes our simulation study of a new route discovery mechanism for mobile ad hoc networks. Based on the concept of unicast query and simulated with the reactive Dynamic Source Routing (DSR) protocol, the mechanism is found to perform most effectively at high node mobility, allowing routes to be acquired with significantly lower overhead. Results obtained using ns2 showed an aggregate 25% reduction of routing overhead with over 96% of data packets successfully delivered using optimal paths in most traffic sessions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Broch, J., Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Internet draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-03-txt. (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A.: Dynamic Source Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. In Mobile Computing, edited by Imielinksi, T., Korth, H., Chpt. 5, Kluwer Academic Publishers (1996) 153–191Google Scholar
- 3.Dommety, G., Jain, R.: Potential Networking Applications of Global Positioning Systems (GPS). Technical report, TR-24 (1996). Computer Science Department, Ohio State University.Google Scholar
- 4.Ko, Y., Vaidya, N.: Location Aided Routing (LAR) in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Proc. Fourth ACM/IEEE Int. Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (1998) 66–75Google Scholar
- 5.Fall, K., Varadhan, K.: ns notes and documentation. The VINT Project, UC Berkeley. URL: http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/
- 6.The CMU Monarch Project’s Wireless and Mobility Extensions to ns. URL: http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/
- 7.Broch, J., Maltz, D.A., Johnson, D.B., Hu, Y., Jetcheya, J.: A Performance Comparison of Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Network Routing Protocols. Proc. Fourth ACM/IEEE Int. Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (1998) 85–97Google Scholar
- 8.Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (MANET) working group charter, Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). URL: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/manet-charter.html