Bandwidth Tradeoff between TCP and Link–Level FEC
FEC is widely used to improve the quality of noisy transmission media as wireless links. This improvement is of importance for a transport protocol as TCP which uses the loss of packets as an indication of networkcongestion. FEC shields TCP from losses not caused by congestion but it consumes some bandwidth that could be used by TCP. We study in this paper the tradeoff between the bandwidth consumed by FEC and that gained by TCP.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Altman, K. Avratchenkov, and C. Barakat, “A stochastic model for TCP/IP with stationary random losses”, ACM SIGCOMM, Sep. 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan, and R. Katz, “A comparison of Mechanisms for Improving TCP Performance over Wireless Links”, ACM SIGCOMM, Aug. 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Chaskar, T. V. Lakshman, and U. Madhow, “On the design of interfaces for TCP/IP over wireless”, IEEE MILCOM, Oct. 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Chockalingam, M. Zorzi, and R.R. Rao, “Performance of TCP on Wireless Fading Links with Memory”, IEEE ICC, Jun. 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.B. R. Elbert, “The Satellite Communication Applications Handbook”, Artech House, Boston, London, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.E.N. Gilbert, “Capacity of a burst-noise channel”, Bell Systems Technical Journal, Sep. 1960.Google Scholar
- 8.V. Jacobson, “Congestion avoidance and control”, ACM SIGCOMM, Aug. 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Kumar and J. Holtzman, “Performance Analysis of Versions of TCP in a Local Networkwith a Mobile Radio Link”, Sadhana: Indian Academy of Sciences Proceedings in Engg. Sciences, Feb. 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.The LBNL NetworkSim ulator, ns, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 13.J. Padhye, V. Firoiu, D. Towsley, and J. Kurose, “Modeling TCP Throughput: a Simple Model and its Empirical Validation”, ACM SIGCOMM, Sep. 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.N. Shacham and P. McKenney, “Packet Recovery in High-Speed Networks Using Coding and Buffer Management”, IEEE INFOCOM, Jun. 1990.Google Scholar
- 16.W. Stevens, “TCP Slow-Start, Congestion Avoidance, Fast Retransmit, and Fast Recovery Algorithms”, RFC 2001, Jan. 1997.Google Scholar