Improving the Availability of Time-Stamping Services
We discuss the availability questions that arise when digital time stamps are used for preserving the evidentiary value of electronic documents. We analyze the time-stamping protocols known to date and point out some weaknesses that have not been addressed so far in scientific literature. Without addressing and solving them, any advantage of the linkage-based protocols over the hash-and-sign time-stamping would be questionable. We present several new techniques and protocols for improving the availability of both the hash-and-sign and the linkage-based time-stamping services. We introduce fault-tolerant linking as a new concept to neutralize fault-sensitivity as the main weakness of linkage-based time-stamping.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Josh Benaloh and Michael de Mare. Efficient broadcast time-stamping. Technical Report 1, Clarkson University Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, August 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.Josh Benaloh and Michael de Mare. One-way accumulators: A decentralized alternative to digital signatures. In Advances in Cryptology-Eurocrypt’93, volume 765 of LNCS, pages 274–285. Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Ahto Buldas and Peeter Laud. New linking schemes for digital time-stamping. In Proc. 1st International Conference on Information Security and Cryptology-ICISC’98, pages 3–13, Seoul, Korea, December 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.Ahto Buldas, Helger Lipmaa, and Berry Schoenmakers. Optimally efficient accountable time-stamping. In Public Key Cryptography-PKC’2000, volume 1751 of LNCS, pages 293–305, Melbourne, Australia, January 2000. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 6.Helger Lipmaa. Secure and Efficient Time-Stamping Systems. PhD thesis. Dissertationes Mathematicae Universitatis Tartuensis. Tartu University Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.Secure Time/Date Stamping in a Public Key Infrastructure. Available at http://www.surety.com/index-nn.html
- 9.Henri Massias, Xavier Serret, and Jean-Jaques Quisquater. Timestamps: Main issues on their use and implementation. In Proceedings of IEEE 8th International Workshops on enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises-Fourth International Workshop on Enterprise Security, pages 178–183, June 1999. ISBN 0-7695-0365-9.Google Scholar
- 10.Fernando Pinto and Vasco Freitas. Digital time-stamping to support non repudiation in electronic communications. In Proc. SECURICOM’96-14th worldwide Congress on Computer and Communications Security and Protection, CNIT, pages 397–406, Paris, June 1996.Google Scholar