Shifting Paradigms in Polymer Crystallization
Classical concepts on polymer crystallization are under revision, due to the demands made by a wealth of new information acquired from experiments and computer simulations that explore the time-resolved molecular details of the crystallization process. A brief summary of the classical ideas and the contrasting new results is presented here.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Keller, A note on single crystals in polymers: evidence for a folded chain configuration, Phil Mag. 2, 1171–1175 (1957); P.H. Till, The growth of single crystals of linear polyethylene J. Polym. Sci. 24, 301–306 (1957); E. W. Fischer, Stufen- und spiralfoermiges Kristallwachstum beit Hochpolymeren, Z. Naturforsch. 12a, 753–754 (1957).Google Scholar
- J.D. Hoffman, G.T. Davis and J.I. Lauritzen, in Treatise on Solid State Chemistry, Edited by N.P. Hannay, Plenum, N.Y. 1976; Vol. 3, Chapter 7, pp 497–614.Google Scholar
- Organization of macromolecules in the condensed phase, Disc. Faraday Soc. 68 (1979).Google Scholar
- J.I. Lauritzen and J.D. Hoffman, Theory of formation of polymer crystals with folded chains in dilute solution, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Std. 64A, 73–102 (1960).Google Scholar
- Y. Akpalu, L. Kielhorn, B.S. Hsiao, R.S. Stein, T.P. Russell, J. van Egmond and M. Muthukumar, Structure development during crystallization of homogeneous copolymers of ethene and 1-octene: Time-resolved synchrotron X-ray and SALS measurements, Macromolecules 32, 765–770 (1999).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- S. Umemoto, and N. Okui, Power law and scaling for molecular weight dependence of crystal growth rate in polymeric materials, Polymer 46, 8790–8795 (2005).Google Scholar
- P. Welch and M. Muthukumar, Molecular mechanism of polymer crystallization from solution, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 218302-1-218302-4 (2001).Google Scholar
- T. Yamamoto, Molecular dynamics modeling of polymer crystallization from the melt, 45 1357–1364 (2004).Google Scholar
- J. Zhang and M. Muthukumar, preprint.Google Scholar
- A. Kundagrami and M. Muthukumar, foreprint.Google Scholar