On Simulation Modeling of Information Dissemination Systems in Mobile Environments
In this paper, we propose dynamic discrete-event based models for information dissemination systems in both single cell and multiple cell mobile environments. We demonstrate that this novel approach can flexibly model channel borrowing and hand-off scenarios. Finally, we implement two simulation systems based on the single cell model. Our simulations show that broadcast channels can effectively alleviate traffic overload in a cell.
KeywordsService Time Mobile User Mobile System Blocking Probability Connection Request
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AAFZ95.S. Acharya, R. Alonso, M. Franklin, and S. Zdonik. Broadcast disks: Data management for asymmetric communications environments. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, San Jose, California, 1995.Google Scholar
- BB95.A. Bakre and B. R. Badrinath. Handoff and systems support for indirect tcp/ip. In 2nd Usenix Symposium on Mobile and Location-Independent Computing, April 1995.Google Scholar
- HP89.S.V. Hoover and R.F. Perry. Simulation: a problem-solving approach. Addison-Wesley, New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- IB94.T. Imielinski and B. R. Badrinath. Wireless mobile computing: Challenges in data management. Communication of ACM, 37(10), 1994.Google Scholar
- Inc95.Imagine That Inc. Extend–Performance Modeling for Decision Support. Imagine That, Inc., CA, 1995.Google Scholar
- IV94.T. Imielinski and S. Viswanathan. Adaptive wireless information systems. In proceedings of SIGDBS (Special Interest Group in DataBase Systems) Conference, Tokyo-Japan, October 1994.Google Scholar
- LHL99.W.-C. Lee, Q.L. Hu, and D. L. Lee. A study of channel allocation methods for data dissemination in mobile computing environments. ACM/Baltzer Mobile Networks and Aplications (MONET): Special Issue on Resource Management in Wireless Networks, 4(2):117–129, 1999.Google Scholar
- SRB97.K. Stathatos, N. Roussopoulos, and J. S. Baras. Adaptive data broadcast in hybrid networks. In Proceedings of the 23rd VLDB Conference, pages 326–335, Athens, Greece, 1997.Google Scholar
- TJ91.S. Tekinay and B. Jabbari. Handover and channel assignment in mobile cellular networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, pages 42–46, November 1991.Google Scholar