Assessing Opportunities for Broadband Optical Wireless Local Loops in an Unbundled Access Network
Optical wireless local loops (OWLL) based on infrared wireless communication links, are class of wireless access networks capable of delivering the type high-bandwidth services that are becoming increasingly popular with business and residential customers. By combining the use of advanced optical transmission techniques with the flexibility of wireless communication, we describe the possibilities that are created by utilizing this technology in the access network. The possible implementation options for deploying OWLL systems and a performance analysis of a typical OWLL link is also presented. Additionally, we provide a comparison with the other wireless access technologies based on attributes that promote the competitiveness of a particular access network technology.
KeywordsAccess Network Wireless Access Technology Space Division Multiple Access Pulse Position Modulation Home Location Register
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ims L. (ed.): Broadband Access Networks. 1st edn. Chapman & Hall, London, (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Webb, W.: Introduction to Wireless Local Loops. 1st edn. Artech-House, Boston (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Nykolak, G., Szajowski, P.F., Jacques, J., Presby, H.M., Abate, J. A., Tourgee, G. E., Auborn, J.J.: 4x2.5 WDM Free-Space Optical Link at 1550 nm. OFC’99 Technical Digest. Post-deadline Paper. (1998) 11/1–3Google Scholar
- 8.Andonovic I., Huang, W.: Optical Code Division Multiple Access Networks. Proc. of PHOTONICS’98. 1 (1998) 29–34Google Scholar
- 9.Street, A., Samaras, K., O’Brien D., Edwards, D.: High Speed Wireless IR-LANs Using Spatial Addressing. Proc. of PIMRC’ 97. 3 (1997) 969–973Google Scholar
- 10.Fossa, C., Raines, R., Gunsch, G., Temple, M.: An Overview of the Iridium Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Satellite System. Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Aerospace & Electronics. (1998) 152–159Google Scholar
- 11.Djahani, P., Kahn, J.: Analysis of Infrared Wireless Links Employing Multi-Beam Transmitters and Imaging Diversity Receivers. Submitted to IEEE Trans. on Comm., (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Keiser, G.: Optical Fiber Communications. 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.JOLT Ltd.: Long Range High Speed Wireless Link. Technical Specifications TS-U4000 (1999)Google Scholar