Fast and Space-Efficient Adaptive Arithmetic Coding⋆
We consider the problem of constructing an adaptive arithmetic code in the case when the source alphabet is large. A method is suggested whose coding time is less in order of magnitude than that for known methods. We also suggest an implementation of the method by using a data structure called “imaginary sliding window”, which allows to significantly reduce the memory size of the encoder and decoder.
KeywordsMemory Size Arithmetic Code Alphabet Size Sliding Window Adaptive Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Pasco, R.: Source coding algorithm for fast data compression. Ph. D. thesis, Dept. Elect. Eng., Stanford Univ., Stanford, CA (1976)Google Scholar
- 8.Ryabko, B.Y., Fionov, A.N.: Homophonic coding with logarithmic memory size. Algorithms and Computation. Berlin: Springer (1997) 253–262 (Lecture notes in comput. sci.: Vol. 1350)Google Scholar
- 11.Moffat, A.: A note on the PPM data compression algorithm. Res. Rep. 88/7, Dep. Comput. Sci., Univ. of Melbourne, Australia, 1988.Google Scholar
- 13.Ryabko, B.Y.: The imaginary sliding window. IEEE Int. Symp. on Information Theory. Ulm (1997) 63Google Scholar
- 15.Feller, W.: An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications. New York: Wiley & Sons (1970)Google Scholar