Graph Decoding of Array Error-Correcting Codes
The motivation for this paper is to report on concepts and results arising from the continuation of a recent study  of graph decoding techniques for block error-control (detection and correction) codes. The representation of codes by means of graphs, and the corresponding graph-based decoding algorithms, are described briefly. Results on the performance of graph decoding methods for block codes of the array and generalised array type will be presented, confirming the illustrative examples given in . The main novel result is that the (7,4) Generalised Array Code, equivalent to the (7,4) Hamming Code, which has a graph which contains cycles, can be successfully decoded by means of an iterated min-sum algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P.G. Farrell: Graph Decoding of Error-Control Codes; 5th Int. Symposium on DSP for Communication Systems, Scarborough, Perth, Australia, 1–4 February, 1999.Google Scholar
- N. Wiberg: Codes and Decoding on General Graphs; PhD Dissertation, Linkoping University, Sweden, April 1996.Google Scholar
- G.D. Forney: On Iterative Decoding and the Two-Way Algorithm; Int Symp on Turbo Codes, Brest, France, Sept 3–5, 1997.Google Scholar
- P.G. Farrell: On Generalised Array Codes; in Communications Coding and Signal Processing, Eds B. Honary, M. Darnell and P.G. Farrell, Research Studies Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- H.-A. Loeliger, F. Tarkoy, F. Lustenberger & M. Helfenstein: Decoding in Analog VLSI; IEEE Comms Mag, April 1999, pp 99–101.Google Scholar
- I. Martin & B. Honary: Two-Stage Trellis Decoding of the Nordstrom-Robinson Code Based on the Twisted Squaring Construction, submitted to IEE Proceedings-Communications.Google Scholar