Enhanced Image Coding for Noisy Channels
This paper explores the application of a combined error resilient coding scheme to image transmission over time-varying noisy channels. To improve performance at low signal-to-noise ratios, turbo coding is incorporated into the system. Demonstrated through simulations, this novel combination of source and channel coding is shown to correct and restrict errors incurred during transmission over Additive White Gaussian Noise (AWGN) and Rayleigh Fading channels. The error correcting capability of the coding scheme also illustrated with compressed and uncompressed image transmission results which are comparable in terms of their visual quality.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chippendale, P., Honary, B., Arthur, P. and Maundrell, M.: International Patent Ref.: PCT GB 98/01877, ‘Data Encoding System’, 1999Google Scholar
- 2.Chippendale, P.: ‘Transmission of images over time-varying channels’, PhD Thesis, August 1998Google Scholar
- 3.Berrou, C., Glavieux, A., Thitimajshima, P.: ‘Near Shannon Limit Error Correcting Coding and Decoding: Turbo-Codes’, IEEE Proc. ICC’ 93 Geneva, Switzerland, May 1993, pp. 1064–1070Google Scholar
- 4.Hagenauer, J., Offer, E., Papke, L.: ‘Iterative Decoding of Binary Block and Convolutional Codes’, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 42,No. 2, March 1996Google Scholar
- 5.International Organisation for Standardisation.: ‘JPEG Digital Compression and Coding of Continuous-Tone Still Images’. Draft ISO 10918, 1991Google Scholar
- 6.NewScientist: ‘The sky’s the limit’, No.2193, 03.07.1999, pp. 6Google Scholar