Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 1746)
Applications of Exponential Sums in Communications Theory
We provide an introductory overview of how exponential sums, and bounds for them, have been exploited by coding theorists and communications engineers.
KeywordsOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex System Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Signal Galois Ring Multiplicative Character
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Alard and R. Lasalle. Principles of modulation and channel coding for digital broadcasting for mobile receivers. EBU Review, 224: 47–69, Aug. 1987.Google Scholar
- P.S. Chow, J.M. Cioffi, and J.A.C. Bingham. DMT-based ADSL: concept, architecture, and performance. In IEE Colloquium on ‘High Speed Access Technology and Services, Including Video-on-Demand’, pages 3/1–6, Oct. 1994.Google Scholar
- J.A. Davis and J. Jedwab. Peak-to-mean power control in OFDM, Golay complementary sequences and Reed-Muller codes. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, to appear Nov. 1999.Google Scholar
- R.C. Dixon. Spread Spectrum Systems with Commercial Applications (3rd edition). Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- H. Dobbertin. Almost perfect nonlinear power functions on GF(2n): the Niho case. Information and Computation, to appear.Google Scholar
- P. Fan and M. Darnell. Sequence design for communications applications. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1996.Google Scholar
- H. Fukumasa, R. Kohno, and H. Imai. Pseudo noise sequences for tracking and data relay satellite and related systems. Trans. of IEICE, E(5): 1137–1144, May 1991.Google Scholar
- H. Hollmann and Q. Xiang. A proof of the Welch and Niho conjectures on crosscorrelations of binary m-sequences. preprint, 1999.Google Scholar
- K. Ireland and M. Rosen. A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory (2nd edition), Graduate Texts in Mathematics Vol. 84. Springer, Berlin, 1990.Google Scholar
- D. Jungnickel. Finite Fields-Structure and Arithmetics. B.I. Wissenschaftsverlag, Mannheim, 1993.Google Scholar
- V.I. Levenshtein. Bounds on the maximal cardinality of a code with bounded modulus of the innner product. Soviet Math. Dokl., 25(2): 526–531, 1982.Google Scholar
- R. Lidl and H. Niederreiter. Introduction to finite fields and their applications (2nd Edition). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1994.Google Scholar
- R. Lidl and H. Niederreiter. Finite Fields. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and Its Applications, Vol. 20 (2nd Edition), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1997.Google Scholar
- F.J. MacWilliams and N.J.A. Sloane. The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes. North Holland, Amsterdam, 1977.Google Scholar
- K.G. Paterson. Generalised Reed-Muller codes and power control in OFDM. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, to appear.Google Scholar
- K.G. Paterson and V. Tarokh. On the existence and construction of good codes with low peak-to-average power ratios. Hewlett-Packard Laboratories Technical Report HPL-1999-51, submitted, 1999. http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/1999/HPL-1999-51.html.
- V.S. Pless and W. Huffman, eds. Handbook of Coding Theory Vols. I & II. Elsevier, 1998.Google Scholar
- M.B. Pursley. On the mean-square partial correlation of periodic sequences. In Proc. of Conf. on Information Sciences and Systems, pages 377–379, John Hopkins Univ., Baltimore MD, March 28-30 1979.Google Scholar
- M.B. Pursley, D.V. Sarwate, and T.U. Basar. Partial correlation effects in direct-sequence spread-spectrum multiple-access communications systems. IEEE Trans. Commun., COM-32(5): 567–573, May 1984.Google Scholar
- L.C. Quynh and S. Prasad. New class of sequences sets with good auto-and crosscorrelation functions. IEE Proc. (F), 133(3): 281–287, June 1986.Google Scholar
- W. Schmidt. Equations Over Finite Fields-An Elementary Approach. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 536. Springer, Berlin, 1976.Google Scholar
- R.A. Scholtz. Criteria for sequence set design in CDMA communications. In G. Cohen, T. Mora, and O. Moreno, editors, Applied Algebra, Algebraic Algorithms and Error-Correcting Codes (AAECC-10), pages 57–65, Puerto Rico, May 10-14 1993. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- V.M. Sidelnikov. On mutual correlation of sequences. Soviet Math. Dokl., 12(1): 197–201, 1971.Google Scholar
- M.K. Simon, J.K. Omura, R.A. Scholtz, and B.K. Levitt. Spread Spectrum Communications, Vol. 1. Computer Science Press, Rockville, MD, 1985.Google Scholar
- A. Tietäväinen. Vinogradov’s method and some applications. Technical Report TUCS No. 28, Turku Centre for Computer Science, Turku, Finland, 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Weil. Sur les courbes algébriques et les variétés qui s’en déduisent, Actualités Sci. et Ind. no. 1041. Hermann, Paris, 1948.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1999