Generalized Maximum Independent Sets for Trees in Subquadratic Time
In this paper we consider a special case of the Maximum Weighted Independent Set problem for graphs: given a vertex- and edge- weighted tree T = (V,E) where |V| = n, and a real number b, determine the largest weighted subset P of V such that the distance between the two closest elements of P is at least b. We present an O(n log3 n) algorithm for this problem when the vertices have unequal weights. The space requirement is O(n log n). This is the first known subquadratic algorithm for the problem. This solution leads to an O(n log4 n) algorithm to the previously-studied Weighted Max-Min Dispersion Problem.
KeywordsLeaf Node Binary Tree Optimal Placement Vertex Weight Segment Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. K. Bhattacharya and M. E. Houle. Generalized maximum independent sets for trees. Proceedings of Computing: the Australasian Theory Symposium (CATS97), Sydney, Feb. 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Eades, T. Lin and X. Lin. Minimum size h-v drawings. Advanced Visual Interfaces (Proc. AVI’ 92), World Scientific Series in Computer Science, 36:386–394, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Erkut. The discrete p-dispersion problem. Research Paper No. 87-5, Dept. of Finance and Management Science, University of Calgary, Apr. 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.U. Friege, G. Kortsarz, D. Peleg. The dense k-subgraph problem. Manuscript, June 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.M. M. Halldórsson, K. Iwano, N. Katoh and T. Tokuyama. Finding subsets maximizing minimum structures. In Proc. 6th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), San Francisco, pp. 150–157, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Kortsarz and D. Peleg. On choosing a dense subgraph. In Proc. 34th IEEE FOCS, Palo Alto, USA, pp. 692–701, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.F. P. Preparata and M. I. Shamos. Computational Geometry: An Introduction. Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- 14.D. J. Rosenkrantz, G. K. Tayi and S. S. Ravi. Capacitated facility dispersion problems. Manuscript, 1997.Google Scholar
- 17.A. Tamir. Comments on the paper `Heuristic and special case algorithms for dispersion problems’ by S. S. Ravi. D. J. Rosenkrantz and G. K. Tayi. Operations Research, 46:157–158, 1998.Google Scholar