On-Line Load Balancing of Temporary Tasks Revisited
We study load balancing problems with temporary jobs (i.e., jobs that arrive and depart at unpredictable time) in two different con- texts, namely, machines and network paths. Such problems are known as machine load balancing and virtual circuit routing in the literature. We present new on-line algorithms and improved lower bounds.
KeywordsCompetitive Ratio Online Algorithm Competitive Algorithm Interval Model Virtual Circuit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Andrews, M. X. Goemans, and L. Zhang. Improved bounds for on-line load balancing. In Proceedings of the Second Annual International Computing and Combinatorics Conference, pages 1–10, 1996.Google Scholar
- B. Awerbuch, Y. Azar, S. Plotkin, and O. Waarts. Competitiveness routing of virtual circuits with unknown duration. In Proceedings of the Fifth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pages 321–327, 1994.Google Scholar
- Y. Azar, A. Z. Broder, and A. R. Karlin. On-line load balancing. In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 218–225, 1992.Google Scholar
- Y. Azar and L. Epstein. On-line load balancing of temporary tasks on identical machines. In 5th Israeli Symposium on Theory of Computing and Systems, pages 119–125, 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Bar-Noy, A. Freund, and J. Naor. Online load balancing in a hierarchical server topology. In Proceedings of the Seventh Annual European Symposium on Algorithm, pages 77–88, 1999.Google Scholar
- P. Berman, M. Charikar, and M. Karpinski. On-line load balancing for related machines. In Workshop on Algorithms and Data Structures, pages 116–125, 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Borodin and R. El-Yaniv. Online Computation and Competitive Analysis. Cambridge University Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- R. L. Graham. Bounds for certain multiprocessing anomalies. Bell System Technical Journal, 45:1563–1581, 1966.Google Scholar
- S. Phillips and J. Westbrook. Online load balancing and network flow. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Annual Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 402–411, 1993.Google Scholar