On the Combination of Assertions and Virtual Prototyping for the Design of Safety-Critical Systems
Embedded systems for safety-critical applications need design methods, which comply with the requirements of such sensitive systems. This paper proposes a new approach to the design of such systems and presents first results. We introduce the method of Virtual Prototyping in combination with assertions for an UML-based system design. This means that we build an abstract model of a heterogeneous embedded system including functional and especially timing constraints from the very beginning. The Unified Modeling Language (UML) has been extended to model complex heterogeneous systems rather than just software. The Virtual Prototype is made executable on an open simulator platform. From the simulation we derive information about the system’s functional and timing behavior, which is fed back to the UML system level. This paper discusses the assertion-based design process and its implementation by corresponding design tools, and it shows how assertions can vastly improve the quality of embedded system design.
KeywordsUnify Modeling Language Embed System Class Diagram Sequence Diagram Object Constraint Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [KRI01]Krisp, H., Müller-Schloer, C.: “Objektorientierte Modellierung und Simulation eingebetteter Systeme mit ClearSim-MultiDomain und UML”, ASIM 2001, (15. Symposium Simulationstechnik), Paderborn, September 2001, S. 79-84Google Scholar
- [Mey01]Meyer, B.: “Building bug-free O-O software: An Introduction of Design by ContractTM”, http://www.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/contract/page.html
- [Mey02]Meyer, B.: “Object-Oriented Software Construction”, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall 2000Google Scholar
- [Oba01]Obayashi, M., Kubota, H., McCarron, S.P., Mallet, L.: "The Assertion Based Testing Tool for OOP: ADL2", ICSE 1998Google Scholar
- [Sch01]Scherber, S.: “Modellierung und Simulation software-intensiver eingebetteter Systeme”, Shaker Verlag 2001Google Scholar
- [War01]Warmer, J., Kleppe, A.: “The Object Constraint Language”, Addison-Wesley 1999Google Scholar
- [Wel01]Welge, R.: “SDL.RT basierter Entwurf und Implementierung zeit-und sicherheitskritischer Systeme”, PhD Thesis (University of Hannover) 2001Google Scholar