Debugging Concurrent Systems Based on Object Groups
This paper presents a debugging method for Concurrent Object-Oriented Systems. Our method is based upon a new notion called Object Groups. An Object Group is a collection of objects which forms a natural unit for performing collective tasks. An Object Group’s Task differs from C. Manning’s nested transaction which is based on the nested request-reply bilateral message passing structures. Each Object Group’s Task permits more general message passing structures. The language constructs which specify and use Object Groups have been introduced into an object-oriented concurrent language ABCL/l. The paper also describes ABCL/l’s debugging tools based on Object Groups.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bates and Wileden 83]P.C. Bates and J.C. Wileden.: High-Level Debugging of Distributed Systems: The Behavioral Abstraction Approach, The Journal of Systems and Software 3, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Honda 86]Y. Honda and A. Yonezawa.: A Debugging Scheme for an Object-Oriented Concurrent Language, (in Japanese) Proceedings of 3rd Annual JSSST Conference, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Harter et.al 85]P.K. Harter, Jr., D.M. Heimbigner and R. King.: IDD: An Interactive Distributed Debugger, Proceedings of International Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Joyce et.al 87]J. Joyce, G. Lomow, K. Slind, and B. Unger: Monitoring Distributed Systems, ACM Trans. on Computer Systems, vol.5, No.2, 1987Google Scholar
- [Manning 87]C.R. Manning: Traveler: An Apiary Observatory, Proceedings of European Conf. on Object Oriented Programming, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Yonezawa 86]A. Yonezawa, J-P. Briot, and E. Shibayama: Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming in ABCL/1, Proceedings of Object-Oriented Programming System, Languages and Applications, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Yonezawa 87]A. Yonezawa and M. Tokoro (Eds): Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming, The MIT Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Yonezawa 88]A. Yonezawa and I. Ohsawa: Object-Oriented Parallel Parsing for Context-Free Grammars, Proceedings of International Conf. on Computational Linguistics, Budapest, August, 1988.Google Scholar