An Implementation of an Operating System Kernel using Concurrent Object Oriented Language ABCL/c+
The ABCL/c+ is a C-based concurrent object-oriented language, designed as an extension of ABCL/l, a language developed by A. Yonezawa and others. In order to create the world of processes, a routine object is introduced which unifies procedures, functions, and objects. ABCL/c+ is then used to write an operating system kernel. The XINU operating system, developed by D. Comer and others of Bell Laboratories, is rewritten entirely in ABCL/c+. The result shows that concurrent object-oriented languages can produce a highly readable and understandable operating system kernel.
Key words and phrasesConcurrnet object-oriented language Operating system kerne1 ABCL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borow, D.G. and Stefik, M. The LOOPS Manual, KB-VLSI-81-13, Xerox PARC, 1983.Google Scholar
- Chikayama, T. ESP Reference Manual, TR-044. Technical Report, ICOT, 1984.Google Scholar
- Comer, D. Operating System Design: The XINU Approach. Prentice-Hall, 1984.Google Scholar
- Comer, D. Operating System Design-Volume II: Internetworking with XINU. Prentice-Hall, 1987.Google Scholar
- Doi, N. and Kodama, Y. ABCL/c+ User Manual. Institute of Information Science, Keio University, 1987. (In Japanese.)Google Scholar
- Doi, N. and Segawa, K. “Concurrent programming in Smalltalk-80.” Computer Software, 3(1), 1986. (In Japanese.)Google Scholar
- Goldberg, A. and Robinson, D. Smalltalk-80: The Language and its Implementation. Addison-Wesley, 1983.Google Scholar
- Ishikawa, H. and Tokoro, M. “Orient 84/K: An Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming Language for Knowledge Representation.” in Object-Oriented Cancurrent Programming (ed. Yonezawa, A. and Tokoro, M.). MIT Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- Kristensen, B.B., Madsen, O.L., Moller Pedersen, B., and Nygaard, K. “Multisequential execution in the BETA programming language.” Sigplan Notice, 20(4), 1985.Google Scholar
- Shibayama, E. and Yonezawa, A. ABCL/l User’s Guide. Information Science Department, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 1986.Google Scholar
- Yokote, Y. and Tokoro, M. “Concurrent Programming in ConcurrentSmalltalk.” in Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming (ed. Yonezawa, A. and Tokoro, M.). MIT Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- Yonezawa, A., Shibayama, E., Takada, T., and Honda, Y. “Modeling and Programming in an Object-Oriented Concurrent Language ABCL/l.” in Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming (ed. Yonezawa, A. and Tokoro, M.). MIT Press, 1987.Google Scholar