TIF2VEC, An Algorithm for Arc Segmentation in Engineering Drawings
This paper describes a method for the recognition of arcs and circles in engineering drawings and other scanned images containing linework. The approach is based on vectorizing a binary image, smoothing the vectors to a sequence of small straight lines, and then attempting to fit arcs. The software was successful in winning first prize in the arc segmentation contest held at GREC 2001, and the results are presented in the context of this evaluation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adobe Developers Association. Tiff revision 6.0, June 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Chhabra and I. Phillips. A benchmark for graphics recognition systems. Proceedings IEEE Workshop on Empirical Evaluation Methods in Computer Vision, Santa Barbara, CA, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Dov Dori. Vector-based arc segmentation in the machine drawing understanding system environment. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 17(11), 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Dave Elliman. A really useful vectorisation algorithm. GREC 1999, Jaipur, India, September 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Dave Elliman. The coordnate geometry of smooth sequences of lines and arcs. Technical Report 1002, University of Nottingham School of Computer Science, Jubilee Campus, Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK, March 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.I. Phillips and A. Chhabra. Empirical performance evaluation of graphics recognition systems. EEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 21(9):849..870, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.I. Phillips, J. Liang, A. Chhabra, and R. Haralick. Graphics Recognition: Algorithms and Systems, volume 1389 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, chapter A Performance Evaluation Protocol for Graphics Recognition Systems. Springer, 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.Liu Wenyin and Dov Dori. A protocol for performance evaluation of line detection algorithms. Machine Vision and Applications, 9(5/6):240..250, 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.Liu Wenyin, Jian Zhai, and Dov Dori. Extended summary of the arc segmentation contest. This Publication, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Liu Wenyin, Jian Zhai, Dov Dori, and L. Tang. A system for performance evaluation of arc segmentation algorithms. Proc. CVPR Workshop on Empirical Evaluation in Computer Vision, Hawai, 2001.Google Scholar