Determination of Nanosize Particle Distribution by Low Frequency Raman Scattering: Comparison to Electron Microscopy
The methodology for the determination of a nanosized particle distribution by low frequency Raman spectroscopy is described. It is based on a ν -1 dependence of the Raman light of the vibration coupling coefficient C(ν) and on the fact that each nanocrystalite of diameter D vibrates with its eigenfrequency í α 1/D. The effect of the particle vibrational lifetime on the shape of the distribution is analyzed and found to be negligible for free TiO2 nanoparticles. The size distributions of TiO2 nanoparticles estimated by Raman spectroscopy were compared to those obtained by transmission electron microscopy including dark field and high resolution imaging. The Raman spectroscopy was shown to be a simple, fast method that has favourable statistics due to a macroscopic probe volume and makes in situ measurements possible.
KeywordsParticle Size Distribution High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Sound Velocity High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Particle Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.N. N. Ovsyuk, E. B. Gorokhov, V. V. Grischenko, and A. P. Shebanin, Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 47, 248 (1988). [JETP Lett. 47, 298 (1988).]Google Scholar
- 11.M. Gotić, M. Ivanda, A. Sekulić, S. Musić, S. Popović, A. Turković, and K. Furić, Mater. Lett. 28, 225 (1996); S. Musić, M. Gotić, M. Ivanda, S. Popović, A. Turković, R. Trojko, A. Sekulić, and K. Furić, Mater. Sci. Eng. B47, 33 (1997). M. Gotić, M. Ivanda, S. Popović, S. Musić, A. Sekulić, A. Turković and K. Furić, J. Raman Spectr. 28, 555 (1997); M. Ivanda, S. Musić, S. Popović, M. Gotić, J. Mol. Struct. 480&481, 645 (1999).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.M. Ivanda et al, to be published.Google Scholar
- 23.A. M. Tonejc, M. Gotić, B. Grzeta, S. Musić, S. Popović, R. Trojko, A. Turković, and I. Muević, Mater. Sci. and Eng. B 40, 177 (1996); A.M. Tonejc, A. Turković, M. Gotić, S. Musić, M. Vuković, R. Trojko, and A. Tonejc, Mater. Lett. 31, 127 (1997). A.M. Tonejc, I Djerdj, M. Gotić, M. Tudja, S. Popović, A. Tonejc and S. Musić, Proc. of 4th MCEM, Veszprem, Hungary, 375 (1999).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.J. Aitchinson and J.A.C Brown, The log-normal distribution (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1973).Google Scholar