Bayesian Learning Techniques: Application to Neural Networks with Constraints on Weight Space
In this paper the fundamentals of Bayesian learning techniques are shown, and their application to neural network modeling is illustrated. Furthermore, it is shown how constraints on weight space can easily be embedded in a Bayesian framework. Finally, the application of these techniques to a complex neural network model for survival analysis is used as a significant example.
KeywordsBayesian learning frameworks Learning with constraints Survival analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. P. Robert, G. Casella. Markov Chain Monte Carlo Methods. Springer, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- D.H. Wolpert, W. G. Macready. No free lunch theorems for search. Technical Report SFI-TR-95-02-010, The Santa Fe Institute (1995)Google Scholar
- A. M. Walker. On the asymptotic behaviour of posterior distributions. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B 49(3) (1969) 80–88Google Scholar
- F. E. Harrell jr. Survival and Risk Analysis-Technical Report. Duke University Medical Center (1993)Google Scholar
- B. D. Ripley, R. M. Ripley. Neural Networks as Statistical Methods in Survival Analysis. Artificial Neural Networks: Prospects for Medicine (R. Dybowsky and V. Gant eds.), Landes Biosciences Publishers (1998)Google Scholar
- B. Bakker, T. Heskes. A neural-Bayesian approach to survival analysis. Proceedings IEE Artificial Neural Networks (1999) 832–837Google Scholar
- P. J. G. Lisboa, H. Wong. Are neural networks best used to help logistic regression? An example from breast cancer survival analysis. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (2001) 2472–2477Google Scholar
- H. Wong, P. Harris, P. J. G. Lisboa, S. P. J. Kirby, R. Swindell. Dealing with Censorship in Neural Network Models. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (1999) 3702–3706Google Scholar
- R. M. Neal. Survival Analysis Using a Bayesian Neural Network. Joint Statistical Meetings report, Atlanta (2001)Google Scholar