Towards a Data-Driven Coordination Infrastructure for Peer-to-Peer Systems
Shared dataspaces, initiated by Linda since the beginning of the 80s, has been successfully adopted as a coordination model in a huge variety of systems and applications, going from parallel computing to web-based collaborative work. We point out several scalability problems which arise when trying to exploit the original Linda coordination model in peer-to-peer systems. The objective of this analysis is to produce some guidelines for the design of a data-driven coordination infrastructure suitable for the peer-to-peer scenario.
KeywordsMobile Host Coordination Model Context Aware Application Tuple Space Coordination Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [And01]D. Anderson. SETI@home. chapter 5. March 2001.Google Scholar
- [BCV01]M. T. Valente B. Carbunar and J. Vitek. Lime Revisited. Reverse Engneering an Agent Communication Model. In Proc. of MA’ 01, Lectures Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2001.Google Scholar
- [BZ01]N. Busi and G. Zavattaro. Some Thoughts on Transiently Shared Dataspaces. In Proc. on the Workshop on Software Engineering and Mobility (at ICSE 2001), 2001.Google Scholar
- [CP02]G. Cugola and G.P. Picco. Peerware: Core middleware support for peer-to-peer and mobile systems. Draft-2002.Google Scholar
- [jxt]Project JXTA. http://www.jxta.org.
- [K+00]_J. Kubiatowicz et al. OceanStore: An Architecture for Global-Scale Persistent Storage. In 9th International Conference on Architectural support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, Cambridge, MA, November 2000.Google Scholar
- [Kan01]G. Kan. Gnutella. chapter 8. March 2001.Google Scholar
- [Lan01]A. Langley. Freenet. chapter 8. March 2001.Google Scholar
- [PMR99]G.P. Picco, A. Murphy, and GC. Roman. Lime: Linda Meets Mobility. In Proc. 21th IEEE Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE), pages 368–377, 1999.Google Scholar
- [RD01]A. Rowstron and P. Druschel. Storage Management and Caching in PAST, a Large-Scale, Persistent Peer-to-Peer Storage Utility. In 18th, Canada, November 2001.Google Scholar
- [Shi01]C. Shirky. Listening to Napster. chapter 2. March 2001.Google Scholar
- [W+98]_J. Waldo et al. Javaspace specification-1.0. Technical report, Sun Microsystems, March 1998.Google Scholar