Client—Side Profile Storage
As Internet users, we provide personal information to a growing number of service providers with little or no control over its usage, and no means to properly track subsequent access of this information. Some companies have recently made announcements proposing to handle our personal information centrally, offering the possibility of a unified repository, but raising additional trust and privacy concerns. We have chosen to investigate an alternative to this trend by storing personal information on client devices, increasing the possibility of putting the user in control of his or her personal information. A user can have multiple heterogeneous devices, so this generates a need for the distribution of profile data. We report on work that addresses this distribution issue using a coherency protocol well adapted to handle data migration, and are extending this protocol to incorporate trust-related features.
KeywordsAccess Pattern Client Device Device Capability Shared Storage Object Level Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. SCRIBBEN-Privacy@net An international comparative study of consumer privacy on the Internet-Consumers International. January 2001. ISBN 19023 9131 68.Google Scholar
- G. BREBNER, Y. DURAND, S. PERRET.-Position Paper-A Middleware Architecture for Personalized Communities of Devices-The Fourth International Conference on Distributed Communities on the Web 3–5 April 2002, Sydney, Australia.Google Scholar
- G. BREBNER-Matching user needs to product offerings in a friendly way-In Proceedings of the COST 254 workshop on Intelligent Terminals, Bordeaux, March 23-24, 2000. pp 75–78.Google Scholar
- E. RAFFAELE, G. BREBNER-Consumable Services-HP Labs Technical Report HPL 2000-161 December 2000.Google Scholar
- BELARC INC. http://www.belarc.com/
- WORLD WIDE WEB CONSORTIUM-Platform for Privacy Preferences Specification 1.0-http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P/
- INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE-IDsec: Virtual Identity on the Internet-http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zandbelt-idsec-00.txtSTARFISH
- SOFTWARE, INC TrueSync-http://www.starfish.com/solutions/solutions.html
- SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC-Java Remote Method Invocation Specification-Revision1.7, Java2SDK, Standard Edition, v1.3.0, December 1999.Google Scholar
- [II]SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC-Java Naming and Directory Services-http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/