Small k-Dominating Sets of Regular Graphs
- 847 Downloads
A k-dominating set of a graph, G, is a set of vertices, D⊆ V(G), such that for every vertex v ∈ V(G), either v ∈ D or there exists a vertex u ∈ D that is at distance at most k from v in G. We are interested in finding k-dominating sets of small cardinality. In this paper we consider a simple, yet efficient, randomised greedy algorithm for finding a small k-dominating set of regular graphs. We analyse the average-case performance of this heuristic by analysing its performance on random regular graphs using differential equations. This, in turn, proves an upper bound on the size of a minimum k-dominating set of random regular graphs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chang, G.J. and Nemhauser, G.L.: The k-Domination and k-Stability Problems on Graphs. TR-540, School of Operations Research and Industrial Eng., Cornell University (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.Duckworth, W.: Greedy Algorithms and Cubic Graphs. PhD thesis, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, The University of Melbourne, Australia (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Duckworth, W. and Wormald, N.C.: Minimum Independent Dominating Sets of Random Cubic Graphs. Random Structures and Algorithms. To Appear.Google Scholar
- 5.Haynes, T.W., Hedetniemi, S.T. and Slater, P.J.: Domination in Graphs: Advanced topics. Marcel Dekker Inc. (1998) New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Janson, S., FLuczak, T. and Rucinski, A.: Random Graphs. Wiley-Interscience (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, D.S.: Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial problems. In: Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM STOC, Journal of Computer and System Sciences (1994) 9 256–278Google Scholar
- 10.Raz, R. and Safra, S.: A Sub-Constant Error-Probability Low-Degree Test and a Sub-Constant Error-Probability PCP Characterization of NP. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual ACM STOC (1999) 475–484 (electronic)Google Scholar
- 15.Wormald, N.C.: Models of Random Regular Graphs. In: Surveys in Combinatorics (1999) 239–298 Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- 16.Wormald, N.C.: The Differential Equation Method for Random Graph Processes and Greedy Algorithms. In: Lectures on Approximation and Randomized Algorithms (1999) 73–155, PWN, WarsawGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zito, M.: Greedy Algorithms for Minimisation Problems in Random Regular Graphs. In: Proceedings of the 19th European Symposium on Algorithms. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (2001) 2161 524–536, Springer-VerlagGoogle Scholar