NeuSim: A Modular Neural Networks Simulator for Beowulf Clusters
We present a neural networks simulator that we have called NeuSim, designed to work in Beowulf clusters. We have been using this simulator during the last years over several architectures and soon we want to distribute it under GPL license. In this work we offer a detailed description of the simulator, as well as the performance results obtained with a Beowulf cluster of 24 nodes.
KeywordsShared Memory Simulator Performance Slave Node Connection Pattern Neural Network Simulator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Müller, A. Gunzinger and W. Guggenbühl, Fast Neural Net Simulation with DSP Processor Array, IEEE Transac. On Neural Networks, Vol. 6,No. 1, (1995).Google Scholar
- 2.U. Ramacher et al., SYNAPSE-1-A General Purpose Neurocomputer, Siemens AG (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.D.J. Becker, T. Sterling, D. Savarese et al., Beowulf: A Parallel Workstation for Scientific Computation, Proc. International Conference on Parallel Processing (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.C. Reschke, T. Sterling, D. Ridge et al., A Desing Study of Alternative Network Topologies for the Beowulf Parallel Workstation, Procedings of High Performance and Distributed Computing (1996).Google Scholar
- 5.C.J. García Orellana, Modelado y Simulación de Grandes Redes Neuronales (in Spanish), Ph. D. Thesis, University of Extremadura, (Oct. 1998).Google Scholar
- 6.C.J. García Orellana et al., Large Neural Nets Simulation under Beowulf-like Systems, Eng. App. of Bio-Inspired Artificial Neural Networks, Springer Verlag, pag. 30–39, (1999).Google Scholar
- 7.F.J. López Aligue et al., Modelling and Simulation of Large Neural Networks, Proc. Int. Joint-Conference on Neural Networks, IEEE Press Journals, (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.Scyld Beowulf. Scyld Computing Corporation, 2001. http://www.scyld.com
- 9.M.A. Wilson, U.S. Bhalla, J.D. Uhley and J.M. Bower. GENESIS: A system for simulating neural networks. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems. D. Touretzky, editor. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo. pp. 485–492, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Myrinet Network Products. Myricom Inc. http://www.myrinet.com
- 12.Scott Wasson. Intel’s Pentium 4 Processor. The Tech Report. http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2001q1/pentium4/, 2001.
- 13.A Omurtag, E Kaplan, B Knight and L Sirovich. A population approach to cortical dynamics with and application to orientation tuning. Network: Computation in Neural Systems. Vol. 11,No. 4, 2000.Google Scholar