Medical Images Analysis: An Application of Artificial Neural Networks in the Diagnosis of Human Tissues
This article presents an Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) application in the image diagnosis process, by the tissues densities obtained in Computerized Tomography (CT) exams and related to Cerebral Vascular Accidents (CVAs). Among the usually analyzed aspects are the density, the form, the size and the location of these characteristic aspects of the image. As said by specialists in this area, the most relevant attribute is the analysis of the tissues densities. Considering this fact, our paper will investigate neurological pathologies in Computerized Tomography based in the tissues densities of the tomographic images.
The images to be diagnosed are digitalized, and then pre-processed, receiving an adequate mathematical treatment to be used as ANN training patterns and tests.
KeywordsDiagnosis of CVA Diagnosis for Image Automatic Diagnosis of CVAs and ANNs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- David E. Rumelhart, James L. McClelland and The PDP Research Group, Parallel Distributed Processing, Volume I, The MIT Press, 1986Google Scholar
- GE Medical Systems, The Physics of Computerized Tomography, General Electric Company, EUA, 1991Google Scholar
- GE Medical Systems, Sytec 3000 Introduction & Prerequisite Study Package, General Electric Company, EUA, 1992Google Scholar
- Anne G. Osborn, Diagnostic Neuroradiology, Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., EUA, 1994Google Scholar
- Krupp, Marcus Abraham, Current Diagnosis & Treatment, Lange Medical Publications, USA, 1982Google Scholar
- Richard Arnold Johnson, Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis, Prentice-Hall, EUA, 1998Google Scholar
- Betty Trujillo Montoya, Atlas Básico de Tomografia Axial Computadorizada, Quimica Schering Colombiana, Colombia, 1990Google Scholar
- Biondi L.N., Estellita Lins Et Al, Neuro-DEA: Novo Paradigma para Determinação da Eficiência Relativa de Unidades Tomadoras de Decisão, 90 Congresso da Associação Portuguesa de Investigação Operacional-APDIO, no 9, pp. 114, 2000Google Scholar
- The Value and Importance of an Imaging Standard, Radiological Society of North America, Department of Informatics, EUA, 1997Google Scholar
- Cichocki A. and Bargiela A., “Neural Networks for Solving Linear Inequality Systems”, Journal of Parallel Computing, http:// www.bip.riken.go.jp/absl, 1996
- David, M. Skapura, Building Neural Networks, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, New York, 1996Google Scholar
- Jacek M. Zurada, Introduction to Artificial Neural Systems, West Publishing Company, New York, 1992Google Scholar
- Rosenblatt F., Principles of Neurodynamics, Spartan Editions, New York, 1962Google Scholar
- Rafael C. Gonzales and Paul Wintz, Digital Image Processing, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, New York,1987.Google Scholar