An Automatic System for the Location of the Optic Nerve Head from 2D Images
In this paper, we present a vision system in order to improve the diagnosis process of patients with glaucoma. The more accurate mean of assessing is to study the optic nerve head directly from ocular fundus images. Due to the complexity of the problem, our approach decomposes it into simpler subtasks until the primitive level is reached. An example of operationalization of each primitive is shown. Besides a number of experiments were performed in order to detect the papilla contour on real medical images that confirm the proposed operationalization. The main advantages of the system designed are the elimination of the subjectivity that exists in the process of identifying the objects that are present in the ocular fundus image and the full automatization of the process.
KeywordsOptic Nerve Optic Nerve Head Photometric Stereo Ocular Fundus Global Thresholding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Quigley, H.A. and Vitale, S.: Models of open-angle glaucoma prevalence and incidence in the United States. Investigate Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 38(1): PP 83–91, 1997.Google Scholar
- Caprioli, J.: Clinical evaluation of the optic nerve in glaucoma. Tr Am Ophtel Soc. 1994 XCII.Google Scholar
- Lee, S., Brady, J.M.: Integrated Stereo and Photometric Stereo to Monitor the development of Glaucoma. Proceedings of the Brithish Machine Vision Conference, pp 193–198. 1990.Google Scholar
- Morris, D.T., Cox, M.J., Wood, I.C.J.: Automated Extraction of the Optic Nerve Head Rim. American Association of Optometrists, Annual Conference, Boston.1993.Google Scholar
- Morris, T., Wood, I.: Automated Extraction of the Optic Nerve Head. American Academy of Optometrists, biennial European meeting in Amsterdam. 1994.Google Scholar
- Quantitative Three-Dimensional Imaging of the Posterior Segment with the Heidelberg Retina Tomograph. ARTíCULO INTERNET.Google Scholar
- Rosenthal, A.R., Falconer, D.G. and Barrett, P.: Digital measurement of pallor-disc ratio. Arch. Ophthalmol.98,2017–2031. 1980.Google Scholar
- Nasemann, J.E.R., Burk, O.W.: Scanning Laser Ophthalmology and Tomography, pp 161–264. 1990.Google Scholar
- Clancey: Heuristic classification. Artificial Intelligence 27. 1985. pp-289–350.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekaran B.: Design problem solving: A task analysis. AI Magazine. Winter 1990. pp 59–71.Google Scholar
- Schreiber G., Wielinga B., de Hoog R., Akkermans H. and Vande Velde W.: CommonKads: A comprehensive methodology for KBS development. IEEE Expert. December 1994, pp 28–37.Google Scholar
- Schreiber G., Akkermans H., Anjewierden A., de Hoog R., Shadbolt N., Van de Velde W. and Wielinga B. Knowledge Engineering and Management: The CommonKADS Methodology. The MIT Press. 1999.Google Scholar