A Comparative Study of ICA Filter Structures Learnt from Natural and Urban Images
The Neural-JADE and various other ICA algorithms are applied to natural and urban image ensembles to learn appropriate filter structures. The latter are shown to be represented quantitatively by Gabor and Haar wavelets in case of natural and urban image stimuli, respectively. A quantitative comparison concerning various filter characteristics demonstrates the influence of various score functions upon the resulting filter structures. Quantitative comparison will be made also with neurophysiological characteristics of these structures.
KeywordsSpatial Frequency Haar Wavelet Gabor Wavelet Filter Structure Order Cumulant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.L. Bajaj, G. Zhuang (1997) An efficient Algorithm and implementation of Haar wavelets, Technical Report Department of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, USAGoogle Scholar
- 3.J.-F. Cardoso, A. Souloumiac (1993) Blind beamforming for non-gaussian signals, IEEE Proceedings-Part F, 140(6):362–370Google Scholar
- 4.J.G. Daugman (1985) Uncertainty relation for resolution in space, spatial frequency and orientation optimized by two-dimensional visual cortical filters, J.Opt.Soc.A, 2(7):1160–1169Google Scholar
- 8.M. Girolami, C. Fyfe (1996) Negentropy and kurtosis as projection pursuit indices provide generalized ICA algorithms, NIPS’96, Aspen, Colorado, 249–266Google Scholar
- 9.M. Habl, Ch. Bauer, Ch. Ziegaus, E.W. Lang (2000) Analyzing brain tumor related EEG signals with ICA algorithms, in H. Malmgren, M. Borga, L. Niklasson, eds., Persepctives in Neural Computing: Artifical Neural Networks in Medicine and Biology,pp. 131–136, Springer-Verlag BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 12.J.A. Movshon (1979) Two-dimensional spatial frequency tuning of cat striate cortical neurons, Society of Neuroscience (Abstracts), 9th Annual MeetingGoogle Scholar
- 13.B.A. Olshausen, D.J. Field (1997) Sparse coding with an overcomplete basis set: A strategy employed by V1?, Vision Research, 37Google Scholar
- 14.A.J. Parker, M.J. Hawken (1988) Two-dimensional spatial structure of receptive fields in monkey striate cortex, J.Opt.Soc.A, 5(4):598–605Google Scholar
- 17.Ch. Ziegaus, E.W. Lang (1998) Statistical Invariances in Artificial, Natural and Urban Images, Z.Naturforsch. 53a:1009–1021Google Scholar
- 18.Ch. Ziegaus, E.W. Lang (1999) Neural Implementation of the JADE-Algorithm, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1607:487–497Google Scholar