ZISC-036 Neuro-processor Based Image Processing
This paper deals with neural based image processing and developed solutions using the ZISC-036 neuro-processor, an IBM hardware processor which implements the Restricted Coulomb Energy algorithm (RCE) and the KNearest Neighbor algorithm (KNN). The developed neural based techniques have been applied for image enhancement in order to restore old movies (noise reduction, focus correction, etc.), to improve digital television images, or to treat images which require adaptive processing. Experimental results, validating the exposed concepts, have been reported showing quantitative and qualitative improvement as well as the efficiency of our solutions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mercier G., Madani K., Duchesne S.: A Specific Algorithm for A Restricted Coulomb Energy Network used as a Dynamical Process Identifier. In: RI 95, Academy Institute of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 1995.Google Scholar
- Robert David, Erin Williams, Ghislain de Trémiolles, Pascal Tannhof, Noise reduction and image enhancement using A hardware implementation of Artificial neural networks, VIDYNN’98-Virtual Intelligence-Dynamic Neural Networks Stockholm-Sweden-June 22-26, 1998.Google Scholar
- Eide A., Lindblad Th., Lindsey C.S., Minerskjöld M., Sekhviaidze G. and Székely G.: An Implementation of the Zero Instruction Set Computer (ZISC-036) on a PC/ISA-bus Card. In: 1994 WNN/FNN in Washington D.C., December 1994.Google Scholar
- ZISC-036_Data Book, IBM Microelectronics, November 1994.Google Scholar
- ZISC/ISA ACCELERATOR card for PC, User Manual, IBM France, February 1995.Google Scholar
- ZISC (Zero Instruction Set Computer), http://www.fr.ibm.com/france/cdlab/zisc.htm, IBM France, January 1998.
- G. De Tremiolles, Contribution à l’étude théorique des modèles neuromimétiques et à leur validation expérimentale: mise en oeuvre d’applications industrielles (“Contribution to the theoretical study of neuromimetic models and to their experimental validation: use in industrial applications’), Ph.D. Report, University of PARIS XII-Val de Marne, March 1998.Google Scholar
- Lawrence S., Lee Giles C., Chung Tsoi A., Back A., “Face Recognition: A Convolutional Neural Network Approach”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Special Issue on Neural Networks and Pattern Recognition, 1997.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez R., Woods R., “Digital Image Processing”, Addison-Wesley, USA, 1993.Google Scholar