DNA Manipulations in Ciliates
During the last several years Professor Rozenberg and I have been working closely together to try to unravel the secrets of complex DNA manipulations in ciliates. His creative and incisive analysis has given us a fresh perspective on the remarkable acrobatics that ciliates perform with their DNA gene sequences. I am pleased to contribute this paper on the structure of germline genes, which ciliates process in phenomenal ways, as an expression of my appreciation and admiration for his intelligence and energy in the quest to explain the extraordinary DNA gymnastics that the tiny ciliates perform.
KeywordsCytoplasmic Channel Macronuclear Development Hypotrichous Ciliate Noncoding Segment Macronuclear Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BDK]Bierbaum, P., Dönho., T. and Klein, A. 1991. Macronuclear and Micronuclear Configurations of a Gene Encoding the Protein Synthesis Elongation Factor EF1αin Stylonychia lemnae. Mol. Microbiol. 5: 1567–1575.Google Scholar
- [DP]DuBois, M.L. and Prescott, D.M. 1995. Scrambling of the Actin I Gene in Two Oxytricha Species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92: 3888–3892.Google Scholar
- [FB]Foissner, W. and Berger, H. 1999. Identification and Ontogenesis of the nomen nudum Ypotrichs (Protozoa: Ciliophora) Oxytricha nova (= Sterkiella nova sp. n.) and O. trifallax (= S. histriomuscorum). Acta Protozool. 38: 215–248.Google Scholar
- [HP]Hoffman, D.C., and Prescott, D.M. 1997. Evolution of Internal Eliminated Segments and Scrambling in the Micronuclear Gene Encoding DNA Polymerase α in Two Oxytricha Species. Nucl. Acids Res. 25: 1883–1889.Google Scholar
- [HHOP]Hogan, D., Hewitt, E., Orr, K. and Prescott, D.M. 2001. Evolution of IESs and Scrambling of the Actin I Gene in Hypotrichous Ciliates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, submitted.Google Scholar
- [LKC]Landweber, L.F., Kuo, T-C. and Curtis, E.A. 2000. Evolution and Assembly of an Extremely Scrambled Gene. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97: 3298–3303.Google Scholar
- [PPP]Prescott, D.M., Prescott, J.D. and Prescott, R.M. 2001a. Coding Properties of Macronuclear DNA Molecules in Sterkiella nova (Oxytricha nova). Gene, submitted.Google Scholar
- [PER]Prescott, D.M., Ehrenfeucht, A. and Rozenberg, G. 2001b. Molecular Operations for DNA Processing in Hypotrichous Ciliates. Eur. J. Protistol. 37, in press.Google Scholar
- [PDP]Prescott, J.D., DuBois M.L. and Prescott, D.M. 1998. Evolution of the Scrambled Germline Gene Encoding α-telomere Binding Protein in Three Hypotrichous Ciliates. Chromosoma 107: 293–303.Google Scholar
- [PD]Prescott, D.M. and DuBois, M.L. 1996. Internal Eliminated Segments (IESs) of Oxytrichidae. J. Euk. Microbiol. 43: 432–441.Google Scholar
- [PG]Prescott, D.M. and Greslin, A.F. 1992. Scrambled Actin I Gene in the Micronucleus of Oxytricha nova. Dev. Genet. 13: 66–74.Google Scholar
- [SWH]Seegmiller, A., Williams, K.R. and Herrick, G. 1997. Two Two-Gene Macronuclear Chromosomes of the Hypotrichous Ciliates Oxytricha fallax and O. trifallax Generated by Alternative Processing of the 81 Locus. Dev. Genet. 20: 348–357.Google Scholar