Delay Optimizations in Quorum Consensus
The management of replicated data in distributed database systems is a classic problem with great practical importance. Quorum consensus is one of the popular methods, combining with eager replication, for managing replicated data. In this paper, we will investigate the problems of delay-optimal quorum consensus. Firstly, we will show that the problem of minimizing the total-delay (or mean-delay) is NPhard. However, we can show that the problem restricted to some specific network topology, such as trees, rings, and meshes, can be solved in polynomial time. We also developed an approximate algorithm for a general case. The algorithm gives an approximate ratio less than 2. Secondly, we will present an efficient algorithm, based on the dynamic programming technique, to solve the problem of minimizing the maximal-delay.
KeywordsQuorum Consensus Replicated Data Management and Optimizations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. Bernstein, V. Hadzilocs and N. Goodman, Concurrency Control and Recovery in Database Systems, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Breitbart, R. Komondoor, R. Rastogi, and S. Seshadri, Update Propagation Protocols for Replicated Databases, Proceedings of the 1999 ACM SIGMOD, 97–108, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Breitbart and H. F. Korth, Replication and Consistency: Being lazy helps sometimes, Proceedings of the ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, Tucson, Arizona, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Chen and J. Tang, An Efficient Method for Mutual Exclusion in Truly Distributed Systems, Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, 97–104, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Chundi, D. J. Rosenkratz, and S. S. Ravi, Deferred Updates and Data Placement in Distributed Databases, Proceedings of the Twelveth International Conference on Data Engineering, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson, and R. L. Rivest, Introduction to Algorithms, MIT press, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Gray, P. Helland, P. O’Neil, and Dennis Shasha, The Dangers of Replication and a Solution, Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.X. Lin, Delay Optimizations in Quorum Consensus, full paper, 2001. (http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/∼lxue.)
- 18.M. T. Ozsu and P. Valduriez, Principles of Distributed Database Systems, Prentice Hall, 1991.Google Scholar
- 19.B. Maggs, F. Mayer auf der Heide, B. Vocking, and M. Westermann, Exploiting Locality for Data Management in Systems of Limited Bandwidth, Proc. of the 38th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), 284–293, 1997.Google Scholar
- 20.C. H. Papadimitriou and M. Sideri, Optimal Coteries, Proceedings of ACM 10th Symposium of Distributed Computing, 75–80, 1991.Google Scholar