On-Line Scheduling a Batch Processing System to Minimize Total Weighted Job Completion Time
Scheduling a batch processing system has been extensively studied in the last decade.A batch processing system is modelled as a machine that can process up to b jobs simultaneously as a batch.Th e scheduling problem involves assigning all n jobs to batches and determining the batch sequence in such a way that certain objective function of job completion times C j is minimized.In this paper, we address the scheduling problem under the on-line setting in the sense that we construct our schedule irrevocably as time proceeds and do not know of the existence of any job that may arrive later.Our objective is to minimize the total weighted completion time ∑w j C j . We provide a linear time on-line algorithm for the unrestrictive model (i.e., b ≥ n) and show that the algorithm is 10/3-competitive. For the restrictive model (i.e., b < n), we first consider the (off-line) problem of finding a maximum independent vertex set in an interval graph with cost constraint (MISCP), which is NP-hard. We give a dual fully polynomial time approximation scheme for MISCP, which leads us to a (4 + ∈)-competitive on-line algorithm for any ∈ > 0 for the original on-line scheduling problem. These two on-line algorithms are the first deterministic algorithms of constant performance guarantees.
KeywordsSchedule Problem Completion Time Interval Graph Restrictive Model Total Completion Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Chakrabarti, C. A. Phillips, A.S. Schulz, D.B. Shmoys, C. Stein, and J. Wein, Improved scheduling algorithms for minsum criteria.In: F. Meyer auf der Heide and B. Monien (eds.): Automata, Languages and Programming, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1099, Springer: Berlin, 1996, 646–657.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.X. Deng, H. Feng, G. Li, G. Liu, A PTAS for minimizing total flow-time of bounded batch scheduling, unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar
- 6.X. Deng, H. Feng, P. Zhang, Y. Zhang, H. Zhu, Minimizing mean completion time in batch processing system, submitted for journal publication.Google Scholar
- 7.X. Deng and Y. Zhang, Minimizing mean response time in a batch processing system, COCOON99, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1627 (1999), 231–240.Google Scholar
- 12.C.-Y. Lee and R. Uzsoy, Minimizing makespan on a single batch processing machine with dynamic job arrivals, Preprint, 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.A.P.A. Vestjens, On-Line Machine Scheduling, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, 1997.Google Scholar