Recognition and Orientation Algorithms for P4-Comparability Graphs
We consider two problems pertaining to P 4-comparability graphs, namely, the problem of recognizing whether a simple undirected graph is a P 4-comparability graph and the problem of producing an acyclic P 4-transitive orientation of a P 4-comparability graph. These problems have been considered by Hoáng and Reed who described O(n 4) and O(n 5)-time algorithms for their solution respectively, where n is the number of vertices of the given graph. Recently, Raschle and Simon described O(n + m 2)-time algorithms for these problems, where m is the number of edges of the graph. In this paper, we describe difierent O(n + m 2)-time algorithms for the recognition and the acyclic P 4-transitive orientation problems on P 4- comparability graphs. Instrumental in these algorithms are structural relationships of the P 4-components of a graph, which we establish and which are interesting in their own right. Our algorithms are simple, use simple data structures, and have the advantage over those of Raschle and Simon in that they are non-recursive, require linear space and admit effcient parallelization.
KeywordsTime Algorithm Directed Cycle Permutation Graph Topological Sorting Simple Undirected Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Babel and S. Olariu, A new characterization of P4-connected graphs, Proc. 22nd International Workshop on Graph-theoretic concepts in Computer Science (WG’ 96) (F. d’Amore, P. G. Franciosa, and A. Marchetti-Spaccamela, eds.), LNCS 1197, 1996, 17–30.Google Scholar
- 7.R. M. McConnell and J. Spinrad, Linear-time modular decomposition and efficient transitive orientation of comparability graphs, Proc. 5th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (1994), 536–545.Google Scholar
- 8.R. M. McConnell and J. Spinrad, Linear-time transitive orientation, Proc. 8th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (1997), 19–25.Google Scholar
- 9.S. D. Nikolopoulos and L. Palios, Recognition and orientation algorithms for P 4-comparability graphs, Technical Report 23-00, 2000, University of Ioannina, Ioannina,Greece.Google Scholar
- 10.S. D. Nikolopoulos and L. Palios, Parallel algorithms for P 4-comparability graphs, Technical Report 20-01, 2001, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece.Google Scholar