Centralised and Distributed Organisational Control
As many systems and organisations are migrating from centralised control to a distributed one, there is a need for a better understanding of organisational behaviour. The implications of such a trend are discussed with reference to current agent technology. A custom simulation, together with some preliminary results, for the investigation of organisational scenarios is presented. Finally, the development of suitable metrics to quantify the efficiency and effectiveness of differing control mechanisms is considered.
KeywordsMulti Agent System Multiagent System Organisational Behaviour Sensor Range Grid Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Neumann, P.G.: Cause of AT&T network failure, in The Risks Digest, vol. 9, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.Meek, J.: Things Falling Apart (interview with J. Cohen), in The Guardian. London, 2001, pp. 2–3.Google Scholar
- 3.Cohen, J., Stewart, I.: The collapse of chaos: discovering simplicity in a complex world. New York: Viking, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Kauffman, S.A.: The origins of order: self-organization and selection in evolution. New York; Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.Prigogine, I., Stengers, I.: Order out of chaos: man’s new dialogue with nature. London: Fontana Paperbacks, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.Evans, S.R.: Hard Choices, in Aerospace International, May 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.Resnick, M.: Changing the Centralized Mind, in Technology Review, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Resnick, M.: Beyond the Centralized Mindset, Journal of the Learning Sciences, vol. 5, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.Wooldridge, M.: Multiagent systems: a modern approach to distributed artificial intelligence. Cambridge, Mass.: London: MIT Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.Heusse, M., Snyers, D., Guérin, S., Kuntz, P.: Adaptive Agent-Driven Routing and Load Balancing in Communication Network’, presented at Ants’ 98, Brussels, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.Gasser, L.: Perspectives on Organizations in Multi-agent Systems, presented at Multi-Agent Systems and Applications, Prague, Czech Republic, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.Parunak, V.: Industrial Applications of Agents, presented at 2nd European Agent Summer School, Saarbrucken, 2000.Google Scholar