Weight-Vector Based Approach for Product Recommendation in E-commerce
This paper presents a knowledge-based product retrieval and recommendation system for e-commerce. The system is based on the observation that, in Business to Customer (B2C) e-commerce, customers’ preferences naturally cluster into groups. Customers belonging to the same cluster have very similar preferences for product selection. The system is primarily based on product classification hierarchy. The hierarchy contains weight vectors. The system learns from experience. The learning is in the form of weight refinement based on customer selections. The learning resembles radioactive decay in some situations. Labor profile domain has been taken up for system implementation. The results are at the preliminary stage, and the system is not yet evaluated completely.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burke, R.: The Wasabi Personal Shopper: A Case-Based Recommender system. In Proceedings of the 11th National Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence. AAAI (1999).Google Scholar
- 2.Driskill, R., Riedl, J.: Recommender Systems for ECommerce: Challenges and Opportunities. In proceedings of the AAAI-99 Workshop on AI for Electronic Commerce, USA (1998).Google Scholar
- 3.Shardanand, U., Maes, P.: Social Information Filtering Algorithms for Automating “word of mouth”. In Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM press, USA (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.Burke, R.: Knowledge-Based Recommender Systems. Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.Tran, T., Cohen, R.: Hybrid Recommender Systems for Electronic Commerce. In Proceedings of the AAAI-00 Workshop on Knowledge-Based Electronic Markets, USA (1999).Google Scholar
- 6.Bhanu Prasad: Hybrid Hierarchical Knowledge Organization for Planning. In Progress in Artificial Intelligence, Springer LNAI 2258 (2001).Google Scholar
- 7.Branting, K.L.: Acquiring Customer Preferences from Return-Set Selections. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning, ICCBR (2001).Google Scholar
- 8.Wong, S.K.M., Ziarko, W., Wong, P.C.N.: Generalized Vector Space Model in Information Retrieval. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, USA (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.Xue, K.: Knowledge Hierarchies and Weight Vectors-Based Approaches for E-Commerce. M.S. Thesis, Georgia Southwestern State University, USA (2001).Google Scholar