Scheduling Multi-task Agents
We present a centralized and a distributed algorithm for scheduling multi-task agents in a distributed system with the objective of minimizing the overall application completion time. Each agent consists of multiple tasks that can be executed on multiple machines which correspond to resources. The machine speeds and link transfer rates are heterogeneous. Our centralized algorithm has an upper bound on the overall completion time and is used as a module in the distributed algorithm. Extensive simulations show promising results of the algorithms, especially for scheduling communication-intensive multi-task agents.
KeywordsSchedule Algorithm Mobile Agent Task Graph Average Speedup Schedule Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C. Hanen and A. Munier. An approximation algorithm for scheduling dependent tasks on m processors with small communication delays. 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Iverson and F. Ozguner. Parallelizing existing applications in a distributed heterogeneous environments. In Proc. of HCW, pages 93–100, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Kwok and I. Ahmad. Benchmarking the task graph scheduling algorithms. In Proceedigns of the first merged international parallel processing symposium and symposium on parallel and distributed processing, pages 531–537, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.R.H. Mohring, M.W. Schaffter, and A.S. Schulz. Scheduling jobs with communication delays: using infeasible solutions for approximation. In Algorithms-ESA’96, pages 76–90, Barcelona, Spain, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Gray, G. Cybenko, D. Kotz, R. Peterson, and D. Rus. D’Agents: Applications and Performance of a Mobile-Agent System.submitted to Software Practice and Experience,2000.Google Scholar