The Parallelization of a Knowledge Discovery System with Hypergraph Representation
Knowledge discovery is a time-consuming and space intensive endeavor. By distributing such an endeavor, we can diminish both time and space. System INDED(pronounced “indeed”) is an inductive implementation that performs rule discovery using the techniques of inductive logic programming and accumulates and handles knowledge using a deductive nonmonotonic reasoning engine. We present four schemes of transforming this large serial inductive logic programming (ILP) knowledge-based discovery system into a distributed ILP discovery system running on a Beowulf cluster. We also present our data partitioning algorithm based on locality used to accomplish the data decomposition used in the scenarios.
KeywordsAssociation Rule Logic Program Logic Programming Inductive Logic Programming Stable Model Semantic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AIS93]R. Agrawal, T. Imielinski, and A. Swami. Mining association rules between sets of items in large databases. SIGMOD Bulletin, pages 207–216, May 1993.Google Scholar
- [Buy99]Rajkumar Buyya. High Performance Cluster Computing Programming and Applications. Prentice-Hall, Inc, 1999.Google Scholar
- [CHY96]M.S. Chen, J. Han, and P.S. Yu. Data mining: An overview from a database perspective. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 8(6), 1996.Google Scholar
- [GL90]Michael Gelfond and Vladimir Lifschitz. The stable model semantics for logic programming. In Proceedings of the Fifth Logic Programming Symposium, pages 1070–1080, 1990.Google Scholar
- [GLS99]William Gropp, Ewing Lusk, and Anthony Skjellum. Using MPI; Portable Parallel Programming with Message Passing Interface. The MIT Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- [LD94]Nada Lavrac and Saso Dzeroski. Inductive Logic Programming. Ellis Horwood, Inc., 1994.Google Scholar
- [Mug92]Stephen Muggleton, editor. Inductive Logic Programming. Academic Press, Inc, 1992.Google Scholar
- [PSF91]Piatetsky-Shapiro and Frawley, editors. Knowledge Discovery in Databases, chapter Knowledge Discovery in Databases: An Overview. AAAI Press/ The MIT Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Qui86]J. R. Quindlan. Induction of decision trees. Machine Learning, 1:81–06, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Sei99]Jennifer Seitzer. INDED: A symbiotic system of induction and deduction. In MAICS-99 Proceedings Tenth Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference, pages 93–99. AAAI, 1999.Google Scholar
- [SSC99]L. Shen, H. Shen, and L. Chen. New algorithms for efficient mining of association rules. In 7th IEEE Symp. on the Frontiers of Massively Parallel Computation, Annapolis, Maryland, pages 234–241, Feb 1999.Google Scholar