Heuristic Solutions for a Mapping Problem in a TV-Anytime Server Network
This paper presents a novel broadband multimedia service called TV-Anytime. The basic idea of this service is to store broadcast media assets onto media server systems and allow clients to access these streams at any time. We propose a hierarchical structure of a distributed server network to support a high quality TV-anytime service. A key issue, how to map the media assets onto such a hierarchical server network is addressed and formalized as a combinatorial optimization problem. In order to solve this optimization problem, a set of heuristic solutions by use of a parallel simulated annealing library is proposed and verified by a set of benchmark instances. Finally, the TV Cache is presented as a prototype of a scalable TV-Anytime system.
KeywordsServer Network Access Pattern Heuristic Solution Mapping Problem Benchmark Instance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Cortes Gomez, Reinhard Lüling. A Parallel Continuous Media Server for Internet Environments. Proc. of International Conference on High-Performance Computing and Networking(HPCN Europe’98), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1998, pp.78–86.Google Scholar
- Reinhard Lüling. Hierarchical Video-on-Demand Servers for TV-Anytime Services, Proc. of 8th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (IC3N), Boston, Massachusetts, IEEE Press, 1999, pp.110–117.Google Scholar
- ReplayTV: http://www.replay.com.
- Tivo: http://www.tivo.com.
- D.L. Eager, M.K. Vernon, J. Zahorjan. Minimizing Bandwidth Requirements for On-Demand Data Delivery. Tech. Report #4105, Computer Science Dept., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- L.W. Dowdy, D.V. Foster. Comparative Models of the File Assignment Problem. Computing Surveys, Vol.14, No.2, 1982.Google Scholar
- S. Tschoeke, G. Kliewer. The parSA Parallel Simulated Annealing Library. Technical Report, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Paderborn, http://www.uni-paderborn.de/~parsa.