Multithreaded Parallel Computer Model with Performance Evaluation
The main contribution of this work is to introduce a multithreaded parallel computer model (MPCM), which has a number of multithreaded processors connected with an interconnection network. We have implemented some fundamental PRAM algorithms, such as prefix sums and list ranking algorithms, and evaluated their performance. These algorithms achieved optimal speedup up to at least 16 processors.
KeywordsComputer Architecture Pipeline Stage Architecture Instruction Optimal Speedup Computer Model Simulator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Amamiya, H. Tomiyasu, S. Kusakabe, Datarol: a parallel machine architecture for fine-grain multithreading, Proc. 3rd Working Conference on Massively Parallel Programming Models, 151–162, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Gibbons and W. Rytter, Efficient Parallel Algorithm, Cambridge University Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.R. H. Halstead and T. Fujita, MASA: A multithreaded processor architecture for parallel symbolic computing, Proc. 15th International Symposium on Computer Architecture, 443–451, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.John L. Hennessy, and David A. Patterson, Computer Architecture-A Quantitative Approach, Morgan Kaufmann, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.J. JáJá. An Introduction to Parallel Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Robert A. Iannucci ed., Multithreaded Computer Architecture: A Summary of the state of the Art, Kluwer Academic, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Loikkanen and N. Bagherzadeh, A fine-grain multithreading superscalar architecture, Proc. of Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.G. M. Papadopoulos and D. E. Culler, Monsoon: an explicit token-store architecture, Proc 17th International Symposium on Computer Architecture, 82–91, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.G. M. Papadopoulos and K. R. Traub Multithreading: A revisionist view of dataflow architecture, Proc 18th International Symposium on Computer Architecture, 342–351, 1991.Google Scholar
- 11.R. G. Prasadh and C.-L Wu, A Benchmark Evaluation of a Multi-Threaded RISC Processor Architecture, Proc. of International Conference on Parallel Processing, pp. 84–91, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.B. J. Smith, Architecture and applications of the HEP multiprocessor system, Proc. of SPIE-Real-Time Signal Processing IV, Vol. 298, Aug, 1981Google Scholar
- 13.J.-Y. Tsai and P. C. Yew, The Superthreaded Architecture: Thread Pipelining with Run-time Data Dependence Checking and Control Speculation Proc. of Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques, 1996.Google Scholar