A PC-NOW Based Parallel Extension for a Sequential DBMS
In this paper we study the use of networks of PCs to handle the parallel execution of relational database queries. This approach is based on a parallel extension, called parallel relational query evaluator, working in a coupled mode with a sequential DBMS. We present a detailed architecture of the parallel query evaluator and introduce Enkidu, the efficient Java-based prototype that has been build according to our concepts. We expose a set of measurements, conducted over Enkidu, and highlighting its performances. We finally discuss the interest and viability of the concept of parallel extension in the context of relational databases and in the wider context of high performance computing.
KeywordsNetworks of workstations Parallel DBMS Java
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Dewit, S. Ghandeharizadeh, D. Schneider, et al., “The Gamma Database Machine Project,” IEEE TKDE, vol. 2, pp. 44–62, Mar. 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Page, “A Study of a Parallel Database Machine and its Performance the NCR/Teradata DBC/1012,” in Proceedings of the 10th BNCOD Conference, (Aberdeen, Scotland), pp. 115–137, July 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Bamford, D. Butler, B. Klots, et al., “Architecture of Oracle Parallel Server,” in Proceedings of VLDB’ 98, (New York City, NY, USA), pp. 669–670, Aug. 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Oracle, “Oracle Parallel Server: Solutions for Mission Critical Computing,” tech. rep., Oracle Corp., Redwood Shores, CA, Feb. 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Bozas, M. Jaedicke, A. Listl, et al., “On transforming a sequential sql-dbms into a parallel one: First results and experiences of the MIDAS project,” in EuroPar’96, (Lyon), pp. 881–886, Aug. 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Tamura, M. Oguchi, and M. Kitsuregawa, “Parallel Database Processing on a 100 Node PC Cluster: Cases for Decision Support Query Processing and Data Mining,” in SC’97, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Brunie and H. Kosch, “Optimizing complex decision support queries for parallel execution,” in PDPTA’ 97, (Las Vegas, AZ, USA), July 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Brunie and H. Kosch, “ModParOpt: a modular query optimizer for multi-query parallel databases,” in ADBIS’97, (St Petersbourg, RU), 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Liang, The Java Native Interface: Programmer’s Guide and Specification. Java Series, Addison Wesley, June 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Philippsen and B. Haumacher, “More Efficient Object Serialization,” in International Workshop on Java for Parallel and Distributed Computing, (San Juan, Porto Rico, USA), Apr. 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.Matra SI, “Peakserver, the Information Server.” [On-Line], Available on Internet: <http://www.matra-msi.com/ang/savoir_serv_d.htm>, 1999.
- 15.A. Flory, C. Paultre, and C. Veilleraud, “A relational databank to aid in the dispensing of medicines,” in MEDINFO’ 83, (Amsterdam), pp. 152–155, 1983.Google Scholar
- 16.TPC, TPC Benchmark R (Decision Support) Standard Specification. San Jose, CA: Transaction Processing Performance Council, Feb. 1999.Google Scholar
- 17.TPC, TPC Benchmark H (Decision Support) Standard Specification. San Jose, CA: Transaction Processing Performance Council, June 1999.Google Scholar
- 18.D. Schneider and D. DeWitt, “A Performance Evaluation of Four Parallel Join Algorithms in a Shared-Nothing Multiprocessor Environment,” in Proceedings of ACM SIGMOD’ 89, (Portland, Oregon, USA), pp. 110–121, June 1989.Google Scholar
- 19.I. Pramudiono, T. Shintani, T. Tamura, et al., “Mining Generalized Association Rule Using Parallel RDB Engine on PC Cluster,” in DaWak’99, (Florence, Italy), pp. 281–292, Sept. 1999.Google Scholar
- 20.H. Ishikawa, K. Kubota, Y. Noguchi, et al., “Document Warehousing Based on a Multimedia Database System,” in ICDE’99, (Sydney, Australia), pp. 168–173, Mar. 1999.Google Scholar
- 21.Oracle, “Oracle Intermedia: Managing Multimedia Content,” tech. rep., Oracle Corp., Redwood Shores, CA, Feb. 1999.Google Scholar
- 22.Informix, “Informix Media 360,” tech. rep., Informix, Menlo Park, CA, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- 23.W. Sterling, “The Medical Knowledge Bank: A Multimedia Database Application,” NCR Technical Journal, Aug. 1993.Google Scholar