Rethinking Process Guidance for Selecting Software Components
This paper reports the results of ongoing research into compo-nent-based software engineering (CBSE) in the European banking sector as part of the EU-funded BANKSEC project. The importance of complex non-functional requirements such as dependability and security presents new challenges for CBSE. The paper presents BANKSEC’s vision of an integrated software tool that will provide process advice for component procurement teams who are tackling these new problems. The basis for this process guidance is a situation meta-model that enables the software tool to infer properties about the current status of the selection process and recommend process guidance relevant to this situation.
KeywordsSoftware Component Situation Model Customer Requirement Procurement Process Process Guidance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Ben Achour and C. Ncube: Engineering the PORE Method for COTS Selection and Implementation with the MAP Process Meta-Model. In 6th International Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality (REFSQ’2000), Stockholm, Sweden, June (2000).Google Scholar
- 2.Robert Darimont and Axel Van Lamsweerde: Formal refinement patterns for goaldriven requirements elaboration. In Proceedings of the 4th ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering, volume 21(6) of ACM Software Engineering Notes, 179–190, New York, October 16-18 (1996). ACM Press.Google Scholar
- 3.Alexis Gizikis: I* tutorial. CORA-2 Project Report, Centre for HCI Design, City University London, (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.C. Ncube and N.A.M. Maiden: Guidance for Parallel Requirements Acquisition and COTS Software Selection. In Proceedings of 4th International Symposium on Requirements Engineering, 133–141, IEEE Computer Society Press, (1999).Google Scholar
- 6.C. Ncube and N.A.M. Maiden: PORE: Procurement Oriented Requirements Engineering Method for the Component-Based Systems Engineering Development Paradigm. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Component-Based Software Engineering (held in conjunction with ICSE’99), Los Angels, USA, May (1999).Google Scholar
- 7.Cornelius Ncube: A Requirements Engineering Method for COTS-Based Systems Development. PhD Thesis, City University London, UK, (2000).Google Scholar
- 8.Jim Q. Ning: A component Model Proposal. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Component-Based Software Engineering (held in conjunction with ICSE’99), Los Angels, May (1999).Google Scholar
- 9.Object Management Group, Inc.: OMG Unified Modelling Language Specification. Version 1.3, June (1999).Google Scholar
- 10.Eric Yu.: A Framework for Process Modelling and Reengineering. PhD thesis, Departement of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada, (1994).Google Scholar