On Building Testable Software Components
Component engineering is gaining substantial interest in the software engineering community. A lot of research efforts have been devoted to the analysis and design methods for component-based software. However, only few papers address the testing of software components and component-based software. This paper focuses on how to build testable software components by increasing the testability of software components. The paper introduces the concept of testable bean, and proposes a new way to construct a testable bean based on a testable architecture and well-defined built-in interfaces. In addition, the paper also reports our efforts on developing a test bed to achieve automation for test beans.
KeywordsSoftware Component Test Agent Component Test Test Tool Test Script
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gao, Jerry Z.: Testing Component-Based Software. International Conference on Software Testing Analysis and Review (STARWEST’99). San Jose, June (1999).Google Scholar
- 3.Gao, Jerry Z.,: Component Testability and Component Testing Challenges. The Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Component-based Software Engineering: Reflects and Practice, Limerick, Ireland, June (2000).Google Scholar
- 4.Gao, Jerry Z., Zhu, Eugene, Shim, Simon, and Chang, Lee: Monitoring Software Components and Component-Based Software. The Proceedings of the wenty-fourth Annual International Computer Software & Applications Conference (COMPSAC’2000), Taipei, Taiwan, October (2000), IEEE Computer Society Press (2000).Google Scholar
- 6.Nagin, Kenneth, and Hartman, Alan: A Case Study: TCBeans/GOTCHA Software Test Tool Kit. The Twelfth International Software Quality Week 1999 (QW’99).Google Scholar
- 7.Rosenblum, David S.: Adequate Testing of Component-Based Software. Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, Technical Report UCI-ICS-97-34, (1997).Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, Yingxu, King, Graham, and Wickburg, Hakan: A Method for Built-in Tests in Component-based Software Maintenance, Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, (1998).Google Scholar
- 12.Gupta, Kamal and Gupta, Shalino: Design for Testability of Software Components. San Jose State University, Technical Report, (2000).Google Scholar