A Conceptual Modelling Framework for Standards-Driven Web-Based Distance Learning
Internet-based learning environments have proliferated over the last years. Many institutions, both public and private, benefit from them and offer on-line courses and training programs. In most cases, educational resources or software-supported learning services cannot be reused among heterogeneous systems. Additionally, although they share many common features, most e-learning systems are developed from the scratch. In this situation, a need for a standardized conceptual model becomes apparent.
Institutions like the IEEE, the US Department of Defense or the Aviation Industry are currently specifying standards to support information models used in e-learning environments. From these works we present a framework for e-learning. Our proposal includes the application of an OO methodology to derive a reference architecture and design model from those conceptual entities identified by the learning technology standardization process. We have used UML, the Unified Software Development process, object-oriented methodologies for the model defrinition, and eventually, CORBA technology to provide a final implementation.
KeywordsInformation Model Reference Architecture Learn Object Metadata Software Subsystem Metadata Repository
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Siegel, J.: CORBA 3 Fundamentals and Programming. Wiley and Sons (1999)Google Scholar
- LTSC: Learning Technologies Standardization Committee (2001) WWW site. http://ltsc.ieee.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- IMS: IMS Global Learning Consortium (2001) WWW site. http://www.imsproject.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- AICC: Aviation Industry Computer Based Training Committee (2001) WWW site. http://www.aicc.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- ADL: US Department of Defense, Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) initiative (2001) WWW site. http://www.adlnet.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- ARIADNE: The Alliance of Remote Instructional Authoring and Distribution Networks for Europe (2001) WWW site. http://ariadne.unil.ch. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- GESTALT: Getting Educational System Talk Across Leading edge Technologies project (2001) WWW site. http://www.fdgroup.co.uk/gestalt. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- PROMETEUS: PROmoting Multimedia access to Education and Training in EUropean Society (2001) WWW site. http://prometeus.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- CEN/ISSS/LT: European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Information Society Standardization Systems (ISSS), Learning Technologies Workshop (LT) (2001) WWW site. http://www.cenorm.be/isss/Workshop/lt/.
- GEM: Gateway to Educational Materials (2001) WWW site. http://www.geminfo.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- ISO/IEC: International Standardization Organization/Institute Electrotechnical Commision Committee for Learning Technologies (ISO/IEC JTC1 SC36) (2001) WWW site. http://www.jtc1sc36.org. Last access July 2th, 2001.
- Bray, T., Paoli, J., Maler, E.: Extensible Markup Language. Technical report, W3C (2001) [on-line] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006.
- Jacobson, I., G. Booch, J. Rumbaugh: The Unified Software Development Process. Addison-Wesley (1999)Google Scholar
- Jacobson, I., Booch, G., Rumbaugh, J.: The Unified Modelling Language User Guide. Addison Wesley Longman (1999)Google Scholar
- Bass, L., Clements, P., Kazman, R.: Software Architecture in Practice. Addison-Wesley (1999)Google Scholar
- Tyler, J., Cheikes, B., Farance, F., Tonkel, J.: Draft Standard for Learning Technologies. Learning Technology Systems Architecture (LTSA), Draft 8. Technical report, IEEE Inc. (2001) [on-line] http://ltsc.ieee.org/doc/wg1/IEEE_1484_01_D08_LTSA.pdf.
- OMG: Interoperable Naming Service Specification (2000) [on-line] ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/formal/00-11-01.pdf.
- ACTS: GAIA, Generic Architecture for Information Availability. Technical report, Fretwell-Downing (2000) [on-line] http://www.infowing.org/ACTS/RUS/PROJECTS/FINAL-REPORTS/fr-221.pdf.
- Dodds, P.: ADL Shareable Courseware Object Reference Model (SCORM). Version 1.1. Technical report, Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative (2001) [online] http://www.adlnet.org/Scorm/docs/SCORM1.1.zip.